Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bones of sentients species  (Read 1124 times)

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bones of sentients species
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:11:30 pm »

Hi guys!

I'm playing vanilla DF without modding (only crops with a year harvest). I know that the dwarfs don't butcher bones of sentient species. But... I have some furniture (not artifacts) adorned with goblin or human bones.

The question is: What are the conditions to use this material?  :P I really like to build a goblin-bone farm, jeje.

pD. Can the skeletons decay along the time? And the XXClothesXX?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Bones of sentients species
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:16:18 pm »

If a body part is made only from bone and from material that rots, then you get the bone once everything else has rotted. Parts with nail or hair attached won't rot down to bones.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:30:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure that entire skeletons cannot be used, as your dwarf won't butcher them. However, severed limbs decay into a bone or whatever, and that can be used to make crafts.
I could be wrong there, I'm not very certain.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »

If a body part is made only from bone and from material that rots, then you get the bone once everything else has rotted. Parts with nail or hair attached won't rot down to bones.
Cartilage is also an issue.

The most common method is dropping captured invaders down a deep pit and collecting the remains. The second most common is doing that to elves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »

If you don't dismember prisoners intentionally you can still sometimes get sentient bones randomly when creatures are injured in specific ways.
For example, a severed human upper arm will not rot to usable bones, but if the hand (carrying never rotting nails) was detached first and the upper arm next, then you'll get a usable stack of human bones. A slashing weapon or a really large biting creature can do that, although that is unreliable.
In reliable setup, a high z-drop removes the head (teeth,hair,cartilage) and limbs (nails) from the body, leaving it to rot into a bone stack.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:20:01 pm »

Cartilage is also an issue.
I didn't mention that because I couldn't remember where it occured. It should be anywhere that has a joint, but I think it's only modelled in noses and ears.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:01:04 am »

Thank you very much!!!  :D

For SCIENCE I put some weapon traps in the entrance of my fortress. The traps are a killing machine made of steel serrated disks and superior quality marble mechanisms. Ok, in the last ambush I kept all the corpses and body parts.

Nice, when the corpses rotted, I finally obtained 12 stacks of goblin's bones  :P

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:46:37 pm »

also capturing a necromancer, pitting him/her into an enclosure with a window and a door you can open using a lever, so you can allow line of sight at will, then putting some dead bodies that ar still too complete to produce bones and finally drop explode them. ;)

just in case you have some kobold bodies lying around that you want to recycle.

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:26 am »

you can modify the ethics of your dwarves to allow the butcher of sentients, i did this for my morbid dwarven colony. if any animal person or elf, human, goblin, kobold, dies on my map they are immediately hauled to be butchered and my dwarves eat the results