Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bear Breeding  (Read 5545 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Breeding
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:55 am »

I was unde the impression that restrained animals get taken to the training zone. its the caged animals that dont... pls tell me if i right or wrong,before my wild boar get loose...

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:34 am »

My restrained bears went wild and aren't on the list to be re-trained.  Now, maybe I didn't have a guy available to retrain them at the appropriate time(s) but I'm kinda doubting that. 

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:06 am »

I'm not entirely sure how a restrained animal would work, my own tiger collection program worked by pasturing anything I wanted reinforced in the training zone and recaging anything that hung around long enough to become semi-wild. I don't like taking chances.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:46 am »

I'm pretty sure that a restrained animal can be tamed. If its tame then it'll be good for life. In death they'll be as hostile as any other zombie of course.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 11:58:26 am »

Can you assign an animal trainer (even though you're not war or hunting training them) to a wild animal and over time they'll become domesticated? Would make the capturing of animals more worthwhile. Presently I haven't bothered with capturing animals such as a cougar because I don't know what I'd do with them afterward.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 12:03:37 pm »

Can you assign an animal trainer (even though you're not war or hunting training them) to a wild animal and over time they'll become domesticated? Would make the capturing of animals more worthwhile. Presently I haven't bothered with capturing animals such as a cougar because I don't know what I'd do with them afterward.
I'm curious about this myself, since I've currently got a male and female wolverine in my animal stockpile, and I'd like about two generations that are basically babymakers before I start going for specific purposes.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

I thought that the training zone had to have the animal in it to get trained.
I don't even see the point in chains, except for putting animals as scouts for ambushes/thieves etc
They do not get moved from the chain to the training zone.

Easiest way to deal with it i've found is to make the training zone also a pen/pasture area. Then to find the animals you wish to train and dump em in there using pen/pasture.

so in 4 steps:
1. Catch them
2. Select trainer(s) for them
3. Wait for animals to be fed and go to a minimum of semi-wild.
4. Assign to pen/pasture+training area

I used this method with great success for all my training, i've trained literally 100 (dont ask) emus on one save and various other amusing creatures, should still have the save.

Another tip: Take a good luck at what elves bring, they bring some crazy "Tame" animals, so if they bring something trainable, you have one of your breeding pair. I've had all sorts of bears from them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:05:41 pm by Bigheaded »
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

I think this thread is becoming general enough that there's some merit in posting this link:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105636.msg3130348;topicseen#msg3130348

That contains a fairly good collection of information about the new taming system and was assembled shortly after it was released. Regarding getting a fully "tame" animal that will never revert, this is only possible if the animal is purchased pre-tamed or if it is first tamed as a child. Baby animals are born with a tameness level initially equivalent to that of the mother, and as soon as they first get tamed, whether from wild or a reinforcement, they become permanently tame. If the child is born somewhat tame (semi-wild or above), it may take some time before they receive reinforcement training and it is possible they will reach adulthood in this time, depending on species.

Exception: animals listed as "domesticated" by your civilisation in the menu e.g. yaks, cows, may be fully and permanently tamed on the first session even while adult. Other more exotic types of animals may reach this status through prolonged and excessive taming of them in your fortress. This applies to the species as a whole, not to individuals.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:17:26 pm by LumberingOaf »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »

My restrained bears went wild and aren't on the list to be re-trained.  Now, maybe I didn't have a guy available to retrain them at the appropriate time(s) but I'm kinda doubting that.
Were they restrained in an animal training zone? Were the animals assigned a specific trainer, any unassigned trainer, or any trainer?

Next time you catch something, try pasturing it after its initial cage-training and setting the pasture to be an animal training zone. I don't see why a restrained animal in a training zone should trigger fewer training jobs than a pastured animal in a training zone, but I've never had any problems keeping up with numerous animals kept pastured. Maybe it's the general, maybe it's the lack of restraints. I don't know.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

They were not restrained in an animal training zone.  I'll try that.

They aren't listed on that screen to be trained so I can't confirm but they were trained by a specific trainer to start with.  He should still be "assigned" as their trainer if they were allowed to be trained without being in a cage.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »

One more thing:  If a bear is (Tame), I'm good to go, right?  It's only when they're (*Trained*) that I have to worry about them possibly going rogue.  Correct?

Indeed.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »

They were not restrained in an animal training zone.  I'll try that.
That might be it. Dwarves should unchain an animal to take it to the training zone because that would be the sensible thing to do, but I don't know if they'll actually do so. I always use combined pastures / training zones, so it's never come up for me.

They aren't listed on that screen to be trained so I can't confirm but they were trained by a specific trainer to start with.  He should still be "assigned" as their trainer if they were allowed to be trained without being in a cage.
Let them be trained by any dwarf with the job active. You can let all dwarves do animal training, or you can use just as many as necessary to keep up with training. If you choose the latter option, try and get hold of fast breeders so you have the opportunity to tame the offspring and get rid of them. That'll make XP gain faster.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]