Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surviving a Seige  (Read 857 times)

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surviving a Seige
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »

When my fort is beseiged, is there any way to outlast the enemy, or are the pretty much there until I kill them?

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving a Seige
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »

Here are the cheesy ways to do it now:

1. Use floodgates, doors and creative digging to completely surround your fortress with a moat. Keeps everything but frogmen out.

2. Get all your dwarves into the fortress. Make a door, put it near the beginning of the fortress, and make it Forbidden. Then dig out everything between the door and the outside world into a large room. The room will collapse, completely sealing yourself off from any external threat.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

I was able to seal myself off well enough, I was just wondering if they would ever go away.  I was really needing wood.  It's not so much of an issue now, since I decided to try opening up the fort and fighting it out.  That didn't end up going well.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »

It seems like you should be able to build fortifications and shoot at them with crossbows from the safety of your fortress.  I haven't tried it, though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

I think you can fire a ballista or catapult through fortifications as well.  A ballista arrow can give you some good strikes on the humans if you want to try to repel them, and might be your only hope of knocking out their commanders -- some of these commanders are the same guys that run the civs in adventure mode, and they can be very lethal.  Otherwise they'll stick around a year or so, blocking trade.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »

How do we carve fortifications in the first place? I've tried using the designation on everything but can't get a single tile to highlight.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »

the wall already has to be detailed once and there has to be space on both sides.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »

You can also fortify walls that have been detailed twice.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:29:00 am »

How often do seiges happen? Do you have to piss off some of the traders who come by and they tell their leaders who then come and attack you? or does it happen somtimes just cuse they want all your stuff?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 03:48:00 am »

Something bad has to happen to the caravan or diplomat.  They might not care if it was your fault.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!