Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World-genned traps in adventure mode?  (Read 1308 times)

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World-genned traps in adventure mode?
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:33 am »

I just started a new adventurer (probably my tenth or so), and he decided to sneak into a cathedral basement to find some armor. Next thing he knew, a flying *coppper bolt* perforated his internals. Huh? Had he been spotted? No, still sneaking. He took another step and a *bronze whip* shattered his spine. Turns out he'd stepped on two adjacent weapon traps not ten paces from the entrance. I'm not sure he even took 100 paces in his life before he passed out from pain and died while helpless...

I've thoroughly explored a lot of dungeons and catacombs before without ever encountering any traps. The only posts I can find in the forums say traps are not created by world gen [1] and only exist in adventure mode if a player left some in an abandoned fortress [2].

Meanwhile, they clearly do exist, at least in this world, so how do I find/avoid/disarm them? Does 'search carefully' uncover them or do I have to depend on luck and/or high observer skill?

[1] http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84883.0
[2] http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115668.0

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World-genned traps in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:18 pm »

Traps are fairly common in catacombs, tombs, and dungeons in my experience. They're especially common in tombs.

I've not tried Searching Carefully for traps, but that seems to work only on the square you are in; sufficient Observer skill will let you avoid them. Dodging will as well.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »

I've never seen one in a any of the areas underneath a town, but they are extremely common in tombs.

Yes Observer skill is used in detecting traps, and successful detections train it further.

If you suspect there are traps in a room you can walk back and forth on a few safe squares looking for them (pressing . probably works too). Since each turn that passes gives you a chance to reveal any traps in your sight range.

I don't think you can disarm traps, but once you have detected one you can safely stand on it's square with one proviso: if you faint on top of one it will activate and probably kill you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:33:10 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »

I usually run into them in those really large square rooms with the pillars that bandits use to store their loot.

The larger the hoard, the more traps encountered usually so it might be generating them based on the wealth of the site in question.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

Observer skill. If you are in a place where you suspect there can be traps, just advance carefully and slowly to make sure you find them.

Once you are a legendary obsever you will saw them instantly.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:16:31 am »

Take in mind that, if we're talking about Tombs here, the guys who get up from their pretty long slumber can and will also fall in these traps if you're gentle enough to guide them in the right path. They're usually rusty and quite non-lethal if compared with normal fortress trap assembly, but they can help you a bit down there where everything could be against you.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:11 am »

a flying *coppper bolt* perforated his internals.[...] He took another step and a *bronze whip* shattered his spine [...] he passed out from pain
How could he pass out from pain if he could no longer feel it? ::)
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.