Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can someone help me with this world gen data?  (Read 616 times)

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can someone help me with this world gen data?
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it sticks at gening river
if anyone can help thanks!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help me with this world gen data?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »

Looking at the world and messing with the settings myself the biggest thing that can help you is reducing the minimum low elevation count to something like 30000 rather then 33000. This is because you reduced the amount of erosion, therefore making there be less low land areas, but the minimum count is still rather high.

The second problem that I encountered was with your temperatures. With the minimum set at -1000 and the maximum at 1000, you are basically generating a world where half of the planet is a gigantic glacier where anything living freezes to death or breaks due to cold within seconds, and the other half is a giant desert where the heat causes everything that can burn to instantly burst into flames. As a result when the game places civilizations many of them that are farming civilizations do not have access to plants, causing more cancelations. This could be worked around by reducing the temperature variance or reducing the number of civilizations placed in hopes that the game is more likely to place 50 civilizations all at the equator then all 200 of them.

By reducing the number of required lowland areas, and then either a decrease in temperature variance or in civilization count, you could potentially get a world that generates. However note that even if you do it will most likely take a long time, as you need a fairly specific setup in order for the world to work, and random generators (like DF's) are bad at specific setups.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.