Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Thoughts on a potential Chinese revolution.  (Read 7024 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a potential Chinese revolution.
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »

No, you are projecting 20th century libertarianism onto an era in which is made no sense.  You can't be against the welfare state when there is no welfare state to oppose.  Liberals of the 19th century were often very interventionist.  Look no further then America's most famous 19th century liberal Abraham Lincoln.  He is remembered for winning the civil war but it's often ignored how he engaged in massive government intervention into the economy to create the railroads.  Or take Adam Smith who is the intellectual founder of 19th century liberalism and was strongly in favor of public works and public welfare spending.  Just because the economy was different back then didn't make them libertarians.

Uh, European liberals today are STILL largely anti-welfare state and so on. The liberals of late 19th century Germany were also largely anti-welfare state. It was the reactionaries and monarchists alongside the progressives that pushed most of it through.

Lincoln was not a liberal (as if a liberal would suspend Habeus Corpus). Adam Smith was a liberal, but he was (A) a very early liberal economist, not a major representation of the liberal movement as a whole (as liberalism had barely developed by that time) and (B) a British liberal, who were always a bit different from mainland European liberals (represented by people like Bastiat, Molinari, Von Mises, etc). If you read the works of Bastiat, you can see he opposes public works and government spending the way a modern libertarian would.

Now you are just mixing up your arguments.  If you want to talk about money not involved in shuffling around intragovernmental money then Clinton comes out even better: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.png?g=aiq

Clinton got that national debt under control.

Remember, the proper argument to slime Clinton is that the surplus in government liabilities to parties outside the government doesn't matter because of the money owed to the social security trust fund (which is comparing 2050 apples to 1995 oranges as I've said before).

I don't think I need much of a response for this one.

From the Treasury department itself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

National debt went up. The deficit did decline, but it didn't ever become a surplus. Next myth please.

And it's a very mendacious argument to say that budgets should be evaluated against the baseline of the worst economic crises of 70 years.  It's also astoundingly bad economics.

Yeah, its bad economics to make a plan to balance the budget that doesn't rely on the economy spontaneously recovering and producing massive revenues. Again, cop out. Bad economics would be what led to the present crisis, or the ballooning deficit even in the boom years followed by a refusal to make spending cuts in the bust years.

I'm not talking about general healthcare cost price controls like in Massachusetts, I'm talking about Medicare overpayment rates through Medicare Part D for treating healthy seniors.  They are vastly different creatures.

So the ACA isn't at all based off of the system in Massachusetts?

Solving the problems of your first dumb government program with a second dumb government program with its own (incredibly obvious) problems doesn't constitute a clever plan, it constitutes a mess. See here: http://www.nber.org/papers/w16011

The CBO estimates that you dismiss out of hand here are at the heart of your previous arguments.  Future Medicare costs are a very large portion of the future liabilities that you used to argue against the Clinton surplus.  If you dismiss the CBO estimates out of hand without providing good reasons then you dismiss your own arguments out of hand.

First off, the CBO (and Ways and Means, etc) have actually almost always underestimated the costs of medical care. If you can point me to significant examples of them either being right on the mark or shooting too high then I'll get into a bit more detail. Besides that, the CBO estimates showing a decline in price largely come from spending cuts that were packaged alongside the ACA. However, those spending cuts (such as the reimbursement rate reduction for doctors taking Medicare/Medicaid patients) have often found themselves postponed by congress, which isn't covered by the CBO estimations. In short, the parts of the ACA that actually cut spending are finding themselves being blocked while the parts that increase spending are going right on ahead.

Another reason is that it doesn't take the incredibly simple abuse of the "preexisting coverage" clauses. Logically speaking, no one is going to pay more for insurance when they can pay a cheaper fine and pay for insurance when they get into trouble or get sick. The poor don't even have to pay a fine, so they only need to wait until they get sick and then jump in and have the insurance company pay for their treatment. The rich and upper middle class largely are unaffected directly as they're already paying for insurance as it is (though it might indirectly change because of the new system, this would be hard to estimate obviously). The lower middle class, however, is effectively shafted as you either have to pay a fine or pay for insurance where previously you could just not get insurance in the first place were you healthy. Yet the fact of the matter is, even with the fine you just pick whichever is cheaper; the insurance plan or the fine. Because the fine is almost always going to be cheaper, most will go for it until they're actually sick, and will be more careless with their own health to boot. The only way the ACA can actually lead anywhere is it either going the way of Massachusetts or it simply evolving into an actual single payer system.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »

Guys, the American politics thread is that way ------->
 ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »

That is national debt including intragovernmental debts this directly contradicts what you were saying before which was debt held by the public.  I pointed this exact distinction out to you.

If you can't even get the most basic subject matter correct this conversation is completely hopeless.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 05:50:31 am »

That is national debt including intragovernmental debts this directly contradicts what you were saying before which was debt held by the public.  I pointed this exact distinction out to you.

If you can't even get the most basic subject matter correct this conversation is completely hopeless.

Do you know what national debt is? It includes intragovernmental debt by default, regardless of what I said. But on THAT topic, lets go back and check. I said:

Yes, he took the so-called SS "surpluses" to pay off the debt (mind, this created intergovernmental debt, but I'll get to that).

in addition to

Clinton shrank public debt to be replaced by intergovernmental debt, a bit like paying off your credit card debt with loans from your coworkers.

You latched on to my very last statement, misinterpreted it, and then made a false statement (that the national debt went down, an untrue statement no matter how you look at it).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:29 am »

Guys. As RedKing has said, this is about Chinese politics, /not/ American/European politics. Move your discussion somewhere else.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 08:50:42 am »

Guys. As RedKing has said, this is about Chinese politics, /not/ American/European politics. Move your discussion somewhere else.

Is there any discussion of Chinese politics going on?  Bay12 threads usually take a pretty gung-ho approach to derailing in my approach.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 12:41:16 pm »

There was discussion of Chinese politics here, until American politics dominated the discussion and effectively pushed it out.

In other news, Sino-Indian relations might be improving.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]