Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First cavern layer at -100  (Read 3839 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
First cavern layer at -100
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »

Yeah, the title pretty much says it. The fortress is on a good sea/woodland(maybe, I forgot) map, as I'm digging down it's taking longer than expected to reach the caverns, when I finally reach them I think I somehow missed a cavern layer, so I use dfhack reveal quickly to check, and yup, the caverns are definitely starting (technically at around -90, but that's the cieling of a thin spire. the main ground of the cavern is actually -100.) the next cavern layer's ceiling is -109. The third cavern layer is 1 Z level yes, one entire Z level below the second layers bottom floor (second floor ends at 113). magma sea and candy at -117. Bottom of magma sea at -123. Bottom of entire map at -129.

Has anyone else had caverns clustered so low and so closely? I can give some pictures of the situation.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: First cavern layer at -100
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »

Ya I've had these happen before, mostly when I really want/need the cavern for some reason.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »

Ah, ok. i was wondering if it's one of those things that just happened uncommonly, or happened rarely.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »

As for my experiences uncommon, but could be more in the rare category for others.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »

Its quite possible not to hit anything and get straight to the circus.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

Happens more frequently if you embark in mountains or setup the world to be an "island" world instead of a "region".

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »

I had this with my most recent fortress. The first cavern layer has a ground floor at about -80 and seems to have far more vertical space than horizontal. It extends both much higher and lower than that. Second cavern is at about -110 and by necessity is much flatter. I've not bothered locating the third and the magma sea yet but by my reckoning they can't be far below. I run out of map not far below.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »

I usually make all my worlds about ten deep.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:41 pm »

I've noticed this situation before as well, except it only happens when I'm trying to create a fortress based entirely in the caverns. I tried to create a fort without that goal in mind, I got the roof of cavern 1 at -30z. With that intention, and I have to go down 100-120 layers to find the damn place. It irks me.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Wait, Dwarf Fortress is telepathic...and malevolent?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »

Wait, Dwarf Fortress is telepathic...and malevolent?
And you're surprised?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:06:52 pm »

I've had cavern layer 1 at z-12 before... And almost every time I've dug a vertical staircase to try find the caverns, I've missed all of the caverns, AND the magma sea, and hit SMR
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together