Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: See/attack flying enemies?  (Read 2157 times)

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
See/attack flying enemies?
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »

Sorry if this is already well-known, but Google didn't turn anything up.

I'm in a flat, open area teeming with falcons, and they have a really annoying habit of stalking me from the air so I can't sneak. This based on the fact that I can't see any other creatures at my z-level, and I often see a falcon just after climbing a hill, before it flies higher and out of sight again. I've tried looking above me while ready to throw, but most of the time I can't see anything (all black). The best I've ever gotten was a wedge with the center (the par around me) cut out, which always faced the same direction no matter what direction I turned.

While the falcons are not really a direct threat, I now dread encountering a real flying enemy in the future! Meanwhile, the inability to sneak is dangerous enough for my adventurer because the next smallest creature I've seen after the falcon is the horse, and I really don't want to tangle with one of those until I at least find some armor and upgrade my silver battle axe to a better metal. The villagers tell me dingos hunt here, too, but I haven't seen any of them yet (and would prefer it to stay that way until I find a way to sneak reliably).

Am I missing some trick here, or are flying critters just Bad News all around?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: See/attack flying enemies?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »

Gotta deal with them...  Go to a ramp and try to sneak.  Go inot the river and try to sneak.  Sneak before you enter their biomes.

A few times a falcon or some such ahs spotted me right when I wanted not to be seen.  They force you to stand up, and then MR. Alligator sees you, or Mcbadits see you...

Throwing things at them may make them fall to their deaths, which is humourous...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »

AHS? MR?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

There should be windows that pop-up on the right side of your screen, that show what is going on above you.  If not, check your init.  You can attack them in the air, by aiming with shift+a.  You could probably also Alt+move into them, but aiming is always better in my opinion.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:26:09 am »

Throwing things at [flying creatures] may make them fall to their deaths, which is humourous...
Oh, I've thrown rocks at them... dozens. Problem is, non-hostile wildlife (= critters that can't see you) can't be hit with thrown rocks. I'm a legendary thrower and can hit just about anything hostile within 3-4 rocks, but I've never yet hit an animal that didn't know I was there (I became legendary trying). Probably the same feaure that keeps thrown rocks from hitting your companions, but very annoying if you're trying to hunt animals.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:53 pm »

???  I hunt with rocks all the time, esp in the begining of the game. Nothing is more satisfying than cracking a girraffe skull with your outsider noob.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »

???  I hunt with rocks all the time, esp in the begining of the game. Nothing is more satisfying than cracking a girraffe skull with your outsider noob.
You do this while sneaking? I can hit with rocks just fine once they know I'm there...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »

You need the appropriate skill level... but yes.  I just chuck loam or rock at animals and/or bandits for the first few missions.  I use my main weapon to finish them as slowly as possible and then start the fun stuff.
PKs DF Mod!

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:29:21 pm »

You do this while sneaking? I can hit with rocks just fine once they know I'm there...
You need the appropriate skill level... but yes.  I just chuck loam or rock at animals and/or bandits for the first few missions.  I use my main weapon to finish them as slowly as possible and then start the fun stuff.
"first few missions" and "main weapon" don't go in the same sentence as "sneak" in my experience. Are you sure you're ambushing them? In any case, the bandits I believe. I can hit them just fine. Things that are already angry at me, no problem.

Anything that requires confirmation to attack -- pressing [alt]+y -- I have *never* hit with a thrown object. I'm legendary +5 thrower/archer, superhuman str & agi, high kin. sense, the whole bit. Probably 80% hit rate for hostiles, and usually one thrown +iron arrow+ ends the fight (chipped bone or punctured organ). I'm having a really hard time believing that a horse or peregrine falcon can really dodge that well.

Also, just to confirm you're playing 34.11?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »

Alt-Y "enemies" aren't really enemies, they're neutrals and allies.  The game assumes you don't want to piss them off and doesn't let you hit them with any weapon.  This game really needs a way to "paint" who your enemies are.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v