Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen is Much Slower Than I Remember  (Read 1057 times)

World Gen is Much Slower Than I Remember
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:12 pm »

Just got the latest version here making a new world for it, and at about year 68 of a 150 year generation, it started to slow down to about 5 minutes per year.

I think the last version I was on was 0.31 or 0.32; whatever one had just added mine carts and the stockpile updates. I haven't changed hardware or anything, so I am just wondering what has changed since the last version I used regarding world generation?

EDIT: Whoa... Do NPCs generate children now? That might be why it's so slow. I just looked back at it and was in the THIRD AGE OF LEGENDS. Age of Legends is when there are still certain types of monsters, yes? When I started the post, it was on a Golden Age, which to my knowledge is when all the megabeasts are gone. :O
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen is Much Slower Than I Remember
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:14 pm »

Note here, but .31 refers to DF2010, .34 refers to DF2012. It's the second number that refers to version number. And since the hauling update the only world generation thing that has changed involve command line and seed generation, so I don't know of anything that might be causing the slowdown you say you are experiencing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »

Hm..

Strange.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:51 pm »

Some megabeasts and semimegabeasts reproduce. Also, I think werebeasts , vampires, and/or necromancers might revert the age.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »

Back in the earlier 0.31.xx releases, worldgen was reasonably fast and could typically do a full 1050 years within several minutes on a decent system - from the beginning to the end, history ran at a fairly constant rate. It got significantly slower in version 0.31.19 (with each successive year taking longer to generate than the previous one), and version 0.34's addition of Necromancers and Werecreatures have only made it slower.

[edit] A few worldgen times for a default "Create a World Now" (Medium world, 250 years)
Version 0.31.14: 1:09
Version 0.31.18: 1:19 for the same seed, yielding a different map (28490 histfigs, 1801 sites, 646 regions, 405 underground regions, 1504 entities, 192166 events)
Version 0.31.19: 4:01 for the same seed, yielding the same map but with different history (10230 histfigs, 1766 sites, 646 regions, 405 underground regions, 1440 entities, 93461 events)
Version 0.34.11: 7:23 for a different seed (49916 histfigs, 1424 sites, 905 regions, 405 underground regions, 1859 entities, 323222 events)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:51:20 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »

I thought Golden Ages where when there were no wars going on, rather than no megabeasts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

Back in the earlier 0.31.xx releases, worldgen was reasonably fast and could typically do a full 1050 years within several minutes on a decent system - from the beginning to the end, history ran at a fairly constant rate. It got significantly slower in version 0.31.19 (with each successive year taking longer to generate than the previous one), and version 0.34's addition of Necromancers and Werecreatures have only made it slower.

[edit] A few worldgen times for a default "Create a World Now" (Medium world, 250 years)
Version 0.31.14: 1:09
Version 0.31.18: 1:19 for the same seed, yielding a different map (28490 histfigs, 1801 sites, 646 regions, 405 underground regions, 1504 entities, 192166 events)
Version 0.31.19: 4:01 for the same seed, yielding the same map but with different history (10230 histfigs, 1766 sites, 646 regions, 405 underground regions, 1440 entities, 93461 events)
Version 0.34.11: 7:23 for a different seed (49916 histfigs, 1424 sites, 905 regions, 405 underground regions, 1859 entities, 323222 events)

Are those times in hours and minutes, or minutes and seconds?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »

I thought Golden Ages where when there were no wars going on, rather than no megabeasts.
No, it's when civilized beings rule the world unquestioned, ie no megabeasts terrorize them. War is civilized, especially the way worldgen does it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »

No, it's when civilized beings rule the world unquestioned, ie no megabeasts terrorize them. War is civilized, especially the way worldgen does it.

I wasn't sure, so I had a quick glance at the wiki.

Quote from: Dorf Fort Wiki
The Golden Age
Civilizations are expanding, and there are no wars and other things for them to worry about. This age is very common in pocket worlds, and naturally progresses from an age of a prominent figure.
The Golden Age was a time when various civilized races peopled the world.

From the wiki, there's no wars in a golden age.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »

I have golden ages whenever the world starts without MBs, and wars start up then, so the wiki is wrong.
Sig

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:05:55 am »

If you want to cut the time of world gen down, cut the avalible sites down. Make sure to cut down pop cap on civs because 15000 is a little high on a map bigger than 33x33. When I gen a world I up the site cap and lower the pop cap.

My current string of worlds I have 120 sites and a max population of 5000 per civ. Even when I generate 7000+ year history worlds still doesn't take that long. Forgot to mention I also up the civ cap as-well when I lower the population cap.

Here is my current world if you want to take a swing. Lots of civs and volcanos. It should also generate lots of waterfalls making a Volcano w/ a waterfall site possible which is always cool IMHO.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What kicks world gens butt is available pop cap because of historical figures, and site caps. IE more places for a civ to generate take over what ever else it does with them.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »

I wasn't sure, so I had a quick glance at the wiki.

Quote from: Dorf Fort Wiki
The Golden Age
Civilizations are expanding, and there are no wars and other things for them to worry about. This age is very common in pocket worlds, and naturally progresses from an age of a prominent figure.
The Golden Age was a time when various civilized races peopled the world.

From the wiki, there's no wars in a golden age.

"And other things" refers to megabeasts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »

I've had wars start up in the first years of megabeastless worlds, and it was listed as a Golden Age.
Sig