Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [minor spoilers] SMR and magma dumping problems  (Read 480 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
[minor spoilers] SMR and magma dumping problems
« on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:36 am »

I've been having a bit of a pickle with my magma dumping projects as of late:
Usually, my dump chute ends up, for whatever reason, in an area where there's no magma on top of the SMR. This, in turn, results in the bottom of the dump shaft (channeled down into the 1st layer of SMR) showing up as "unusable gabbro upward ramp" rather than the magma flow it needs to be for item-destroying purposes.

Is there any way to make an useful dump out of this? I mean, sure you can fill the resultant hole with magma from a layer sabove, but that's just your garden variety magma, not a "straight-into-the-great-/dev/null/-in-the-sky" magma flow. It won't destroy magma-proof items, for example.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: [minor spoilers] SMR and magma dumping problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:03 am »

Instead of channeling into the magma sea's floor, channel into its ceiling?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:03:29 am »

Channeling's a bit buggy with 'undiggable' tiles, like magma flow and such. Punch a hole through the roof of magma and drop it straight down.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:51:05 am »

referencing the 'boring through SMR/ adamantine duplicating thread; can't you collapse a constructed floor down the shaft to flatten the ramp and re-'enable' the magma flow tile?