Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying-Joyous Wilds boundary  (Read 4498 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying-Joyous Wilds boundary
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:14:17 am »

I just genned a world and found something like this near the coast (I do 5*4 embarks so I can be centered around the water source)
TGSGG
TTSGG
TGSGG
TGSGG
T=Terrifying biome
G=Joyous Wilds biome
S=Stream
Biome view shows the stream is in the good area. Does this mean that if I start on the Good side, I'll be safe from zombie thralls etc, and when my military is developed I can try to colonize the evil area?

If so, that's pretty damn epic.

Also, ZOMBIE UNICORNS OF DOOM!!!!!

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying-Joyous Wilds boundary
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:52:36 am »

You'll be safe from the zombie biome effect, and should be safe from the rain, but evil husking fog/mist/soot/etc may cross the river. Also, don't assume the entire river is in the good area, biome effects are caused by the biome (gee really?) and not limited to a 48*48 tile chunk, meaning that little strip of sand from the desert of death that extends into your frolicy forest is the perfect place for your butchers shop and refuse pile.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:43 am »

Can or can't zombies and husks swim, this is the question.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:19:24 am »

Two words: Zombie Carp

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:32:07 am »

All undead become amphibious, so when the zombie giant sperm whale bursts out of the sea, you know.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 05:46:11 pm »

All undead become amphibious, so when the zombie giant sperm whale bursts out of the sea, you know.

Yup, amphibious, so zombies will be a problem... But if you kill them on good part, they shouldn't reanimate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:12 pm »

Undead aren't amphibious, they just don't need to breathe and can somehow move around on land.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 06:01:11 pm »

Ah. Apparently you still run into the 6-Giant-Sparrow-Corpse and Spawning-On-Wrong-Side-Of-River problems. This should be an interesting challenge.

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »

So, if the river becomes 2 or 3 tile deep, with no ramps on the border are the zombies going to be able to cross it? (Resuming, they truly swim, or just don't need to breath, therefore being able to walk underwater?)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »

Rivers themselves are never more than one tile deep. They might be in deep valleys, which are impassible to anthing that can't fly or build bridges.

But anything can swim. Except sponges, they can only dodge.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »

Yeah, can a giant sponge dodge out of water?

I made the mistake of abandoning and now the dog and cat corpses maul me every time. How do I get the world seed so I can regen the world for another clean shot at it?

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:42:50 am »

Speaking of Giant Sperm Whales, just how common / hard to find are Giant Sperm Whales? I've have a dream that one day I will find one and keep it as a pet within my fort somehow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »

Yeah, can a giant sponge dodge out of water?
I doubt it. Maybe. It would then drown.

Speaking of Giant Sperm Whales, just how common / hard to find are Giant Sperm Whales? I've have a dream that one day I will find one and keep it as a pet within my fort somehow.
Find a savage ocean and wait. Better yet, a border between two savage oceans.
Check out Sphalerite's old sea-serpent-taming thread. A lot of it applies better to giant sperm whales than sea serpents, now, since sea serpents lay eggs and there are dozens per biome. Also, you get almost 10k food and over a thousand bones per whale, compared to a few hundred food and several dozen bones per sea serpent.
Sig

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »

I made the mistake of abandoning and now the dog and cat corpses maul me every time. How do I get the world seed so I can regen the world for another clean shot at it?
Open the abandoned save in Legends Mode and use "p" to export map and information.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.