Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves not eating...tantrum spiral  (Read 2491 times)

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not eating...tantrum spiral
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

Try building something right next to the food stockpile and flick through the list of building materials. Does it look like a list of everything in your fortress? Try building something where the dwarves are  hunting vermin. Does that look like a list of everything in your fortress?
I'm unsure of your intentions, are you wanting to know if things are forbidden? I have redesignated stockpiles and that did not help, I notice there are a few dwarves who seem to be in a normal frame of mind, ie they still perform tasks, are not melancholy, and are eating the prepared food that I have. Everyone else seems to have gone catatonic, there are vermin remains everywhere and no one is willing to do anything about it nor will they complete any tasks for which they are the only profession assigned.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:53 pm »

I'm having the same situation except we have actually no food. Except rats. ANd we recieved a wave of migrants.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:19 pm »

Try building something right next to the food stockpile and flick through the list of building materials. Does it look like a list of everything in your fortress? Try building something where the dwarves are  hunting vermin. Does that look like a list of everything in your fortress?
I'm unsure of your intentions, are you wanting to know if things are forbidden? I have redesignated stockpiles and that did not help, I notice there are a few dwarves who seem to be in a normal frame of mind, ie they still perform tasks, are not melancholy, and are eating the prepared food that I have. Everyone else seems to have gone catatonic, there are vermin remains everywhere and no one is willing to do anything about it nor will they complete any tasks for which they are the only profession assigned.

It's a method to check for pathing issues, since if a part of the map is unreachable, then some stuffs won't be able to be gotten, while the other part of map that get tried out would have different stuff. That's assuming there're stockpiles of buildable stuff on both parts, you get unable to build if there're none.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

It's a method to check for pathing issues, since if a part of the map is unreachable, then some stuffs won't be able to be gotten, while the other part of map that get tried out would have different stuff. That's assuming there're stockpiles of buildable stuff on both parts, you get unable to build if there're none.
I was unaware of this, ended up with different results than I expected. Right next to the stockpile is a listing of all materials available to built a crafters workshop, however in my courtyard on the surface it only lists blocks that I have in a stockpile in the courtyard. So there are apparently pathing issues, I have never had to deal with this before, however they seem to be a little backward of what I expected to see.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the stairwell on the first underground Z level has somehow changed from up/down to a down only. Built some up/down stairs over top of them and things seem to be returning to normal, refuse is now actually being taken outside. Hopefully that is all it was, strange the fort has run for a year and a half fine before this somehow happened.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:16:15 pm by caleb »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »

Usually when that happens it's because of a mass remove ramps / up stairs order that wasn't taken off tiles necessary for access.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »

Usually when that happens it's because of a mass remove ramps / up stairs order that wasn't taken off tiles necessary for access.
Probably from my moat, good call.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »

I wish remove ramps and remove stairs were different commands.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games
Pages: 1 [2]