Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I love my Forest Titan.  (Read 1351 times)

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
I love my Forest Titan.
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:09:11 am »

In the early winter of year 9 in Boulderorgan, the dorfs had just finished trading with the Mountain Home.  During the trade negotiations for the next year, The Forest Titan Eggut has come!  A great tarantula composed of flame.  It has a pair of squat antennae and an austere look about it.  Beware its poisonous bite!  I activate my "Hide!" alert and my dorfs retire to their luxurious hideout, filled with booze, food and all their legendary creations.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I watch the titan, waiting for it to make a bee line towards my entrance,

but it just sits at the southern border, while the plateau burns around it.

After two weeks pass, I turn off collecting outside refuse and take the dorfs off alert.  Eggut continues to sit on the southern border, doing nothing.  I was contemplating sending my military out to dispatch the beast, when I thought it would be more !!FUN!! to see the caravan from the Mountain Home play with the titan.  The caravan left.  The wagons departed to the west and everyone but a certain trader named Vabok, departed to the north.  Vabok walked straight up towards the beast, which proceeded to belch fireballs at the trader.  His guards ran to the safety of the border to return to the Mountain home.  I wasn't aware that he had actually died until his ghost showed up,
because everything he was and had, burned to ash.

The fireballs that killed Vabok caused the level below to begin to burn.  While watching the fire slowly creep towards my gateway, a vile force of darkness arrived!  Wouldn't you know it.  The goblins and trolls came from every border, except the south.  I put the dorfs on, "Hide!" alert again.  The goblins and trolls are dispatched by my "meat grinder" entrance and my hammerdorf guards.  All the fleeing goblins head for the north, east and west borders, except for one.  Who was promptly toasted by Eggut.

I release my dorfs from the alert to let them clean the entrance and decide to leave Eggut alone.  He's not bothering my dorfs and I am really curious to see what will happen when the elves arrive.

When the elves arrived was when I decided that Eggut can stay for as long as it likes.  The elves arrived right next to Eggut: 

Eggut kindly sprayed them with fireballs: 
(that's not a yellow turtle, it's a fireball)

Whereupon the elves who managed to escape, lost their minds and are wandering around near their berzerk donkey: 

I'll update when the humans arrive. ;)

EDIT:

Hooray!   The humans have arrived from the south!  They are one level lower than Eggut.

Oh no!  The humans have a crossbowman named Thur, who is shooting at my precious titan! 

Damn.  That bastard Thur killed Eggut. 

I will miss my Forest Titan. :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:49:40 pm by McHaggis »
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: I love my Forest Titan.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28:58 am »

But it's made of flame, so it should die pretty easily to actual damage.

Luckily it has an absolutely boss ranged attack to protect it.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

Heh, yeah, elemental megabeasts are funny. They can either be incredibly weak, getting cleaved in half by a single dwarf, or nigh-indestructible.

OP, if you want to kill it without risking its ranged attack, I reccomend that you build a ballista or catapult.

Edit: are catapults still viable now that boulders are rare and heavy?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:36:30 am by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

Heh, I don't want to kill it.  I want to watch the chaos it inspires.
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:02 am »

But it's made of flame, so it should die pretty easily to actual damage.

Yeah, I am hoping there aren't any ranged goblins/humans/dorfs that kill it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »

That's the cutest eldritch monstrosity ever.

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »

That's the cutest eldritch monstrosity ever.

True.  Now I must punish the humans.