Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Text mode: Height/Width settings  (Read 2110 times)

Finch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Text mode: Height/Width settings
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:53:41 am »

Hi everyone!

I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress and it's really great!  I'm running Linux and I've installed it and it runs fine on my computer (AMD64, Linux Mint 13), but I have a small problem.

I decided to try playing the game in the terminal using PRINT_MODE:TEXT (partly for fun, and also because I'd like to be able to play on my computer without loading a desktop environment) and it works, looking just fine, with music and everything.  The only problem is that the game defaults to only using the top-left 80x25 characters, rather than using the my whole terminal screen (which is 160x64 characters in size).  I've tried changing the WINDOWEDX, WINDOWEDY, FULLSCREENX and FULLSCREENY values to resize it like you do in 2D mode, but in text mode it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone tried doing this, or come into the same problem as me?  I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it would be fun!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Text mode: Height/Width settings
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »

Well, I played around for a bit, but resizing doesn't seem to be possible in text mode. The option for tilesets, resizing, zooming and so on was introduced when the OpenGL code was rewritten in SDL, but since the text mode uses a "primitive ncurses output" none of the graphic options work there.

Edit: removed a lot of nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:39:08 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:19 pm »

Actually, disregard everything I said there. DF gets resized automatically when I resize my terminal. I don't know how that works if you don't load a desktop environment, but the point is, it is possible.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »

I haven't tried curses mode display, but if it's not picking up the size of your terminal, then I'd try exporting the COLUMNS and LINES environment variables:

export COLUMNS=$(tput cols)
export LINES=$(tput lines)

If that works, consider adding that to the "df" script that launches Dwarf Fortress.  See also http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/091
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz