Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question re: z-axis and fliers  (Read 1453 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Question re: z-axis and fliers
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

Two-thirds rounded up is a good number.

If you really wanted to get technical you could add in some sort of FLIER:thrust ability; each FLIER body part would then provide the indicated amount of thrust, and the creature would need enough thrust equal to its SIZE to remain airborne, thrust exceeding its SIZE to fly upward.  As FLIER body parts were damaged, they would lose thrust, so a creature whose wings were damaged might be incapable of gaining altitude, and a creature whose wings were broken might be forced to land, and a creature whose wings were destroyed in mid-air would become a kinetic-energy projectile.

The "sweet" spot could then be chosen by the creature modder.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I'm kinda curious on what the altitude limit would be. It would be fun to fly into space but I don't think that's really part of DF   :p

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

So if I'm wrestling a flier. I'm standing at a cliff, the flier is over the cliff and flying and I grab his wing and break it(Assuming he only has one) while still holding on, will he fall? And will he drag me down with him?Or will it be something like trying to move when something has a hold of you, if it tries to fall it has to check to see if it can break loose. If it can, it falls onto the sharp pointy rocks 18 tiles down, if it can't, does it stay there in the air as I strangle it to death. Or does it spam that it fails to break loose until it does? And if that's the case do you get exp. for it failing to break loose?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

I suppose the torque from losing the [FLIER]s on one side would really depend on a lot of things as well, from not being an issue to being a flight-stopper.

Once I handle that allocation issue, it would be +15 in a flat area and more in the lower parts of a non-flat area (the map is a cube).  It could allow more, but it would start to get expensive for very little gain.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

Can [FLIER]s hover? How fast (or slow) can they fly?
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Right now all flying is hovering and floating around.  There is no momentum.  I might mess with that when I do the momentum for sprinting.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>I'm kinda curious on what the altitude limit would be. It would be fun to fly into space but I don't think that's really part of DF    :p

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]</STRONG>

Cant go higher the level 15+ methinks currently

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>

Cant go higher the level 15+ methinks currently</STRONG>

Flying monkey cancels flight: Suffocating.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: 1 [2]