Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ever had to write a semi-targeted cover letter for a resume? Please advise.  (Read 2606 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been looking for work, and have little time left with which to find it.  I'm also short on resources and tools, for example my printer isn't working correctly.

I think the skills from house-sitting, general upkeep and maintenance chores around my home and others', and a stint as a janitor would make me a decent fit for hotel housekeeping staff.  There are several hotels around here, and I mean to apply at all of them.  Instead of doing a bunch of research on each and tailoring a cover letter specifically to each one, which I really don't have time for, I'm thinking of creating a single letter that focuses on the business type and position only, then putting the one file on a USB stick and running off multiple prints at Kinko's.

I've never written a cover letter before, let alone one that is targeted to a business type and position but not to a specific company or hiring manager.  I'm looking at some guides but none seem to cover (or even mention to forbid) this kind of situation.  I need help.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgive my shock and disgust that janitorial positions are apparently in need of formal resumes and cover letters. That said, I've only ever written cover letters for exactly the situation you don't want: addressing a specific hiring manager by name.

I'm not entirely sure how you're going to write a "generic" cover letter. I mean...what would you put on it? The whole point of a cover letter is either:

a) To simplify processing. The person on the fax machine might not be involved with hiring or resumes at all. And in large companies, there may be hundreds of job listings, so it is useful to identify which listing a resume in intended to be an application for. So, a quick "this is for person X in regards to position Y" makes it easier for the receiving company to figure out what to do with it.

But if you don't know who to send it to, or even whether the company you're sending it to has a distinct human resources department, this may be impractical.

b) In the case of companies who have posted specific job listings with specific requirements, to quickly identify that a resume submitter has read those requirements, understands them, and does meet them.

But if you're not responding to a specific posting, you probably don't have a list of specific requirements to confirm that you meet.

I need help.

I think my advice in this situation would be to keep in mind the spirit of intent for "a" listed above, and use a minimalistic approach. Simply include whatever information would be required to simplify the process of getting your resume from the fax machine, into the hands of whomever you want to see it. So...name and contact information, and a brief 2-3 sentences explaining the kind of work you're looking for and a polite request to please contact you. I would advise against duplicating information from your resume. Make the cover letter a processing and delivery tool, not an advertisement.

Write only what you need to quickly and efficiently communicate your intent, and to make it easy for whomever receives the resume to give it to the right person.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgive my shock and disgust that janitorial positions are apparently in need of formal resumes and cover letters.

You think that's bad?  Check this out.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Considering that most of the people who I see working at burger king are high school aged, I'm surprised that that resume box doesn't have a 300 character limit. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

... The HR people should be the 3rd in line for the guillotine for bringing us to this.... Then again that's far too quick of a death for them and I have so much imagination unused that could visit the suffering they deserve on them. I say we start by giving them stacks of worthless forms to fill out with questions that have no clear answers; the penalty for not submitting the unknowable answers starts with unprintable things and goes downhill from there.....

[Your Name]
[Address first line]
[Address 2nd line]
[your phone]
[your email]

[The date]

[Contact person's name] (if you know it)
[Contact person's position in company] (or department name if you must)
[company name]
[address line 1]
[address line 2]

Dear Mr. Ms [name]

OR (if you don't know their name)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I think you'll agree I am an excellent fit for your advertised hotel housekeeping position. My experience and dedicated work ethic encompass several related positions including [position 1], [position 2], and [position 3]. I take pride in providing on time and excellent cleaning and general maintenance services. I realize customers notice the little things, so I know no task is too small and take them all seriously while keeping every area I am in charge of as clean as my own home. Several friends routinely trust me to house sit for them while they are on vacations or other out of town commitments. I would provide the same level of service and commitment to making sure the hotel's valued guests had the best, cleanest stay possible.

My experiences imparted a strong work ethic, good listening skills and an ability to follow directions while working independently to meet targeted goals. It also provided the opportunity to make people's day a little less hectic by leaving them with a spotless work area and one less thing to worry about. I am confident my experience and dedication will allow me to make an immediate contribution to your organization.

I have enclosed my resume for your consideration. I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss this exciting position and its role in [company name]'s organization. Should you have any questions or comments, please call [phone number] or email at [email address]

Sincerely,

[name]

It truly pisses me off that the HR people have stuck their grubby hands into every aspect of society. It is total bullshit that they should even dare asking people to write a cover letter for a janitorial/housekeeping position. [sigh]. In any event, I hope this helps you navigate their bullshit.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks.  It required some modification to better fit the specific circumstances, but I think what you've given me will do.

RE: the guillotine, it can work.  I think eliminating these people is more important than tormenting them, but if you'd prefer to make it slow and painful, you just dull the blade with a hammer first, and then you start at the phalanges and work your way up one bone at a time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:19:09 pm by weenog »