Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Target in the Sewers  (Read 689 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Finding Target in the Sewers
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:41:55 am »

I've been sent to kill a olm man in a town's sewers. I've been running around for hours, but haven't found him yet. Any landmarks to look for, or is the location completely random?

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Target in the Sewers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:59:12 am »

Best Advice - don't go into the sewers after specific targets.

Trying to find a target in the sewers is like trying to find a needle in a haystack - and it's damp and soggy haystack. You'll be running around for hours on end not seeing a damn thing, and the Olm Man you're looking for might not even be in the dry section of the sewers. Push comes to shove, you might also end up in some water and get killed in it.

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »

So, can I just ignore the quest without penalties? Kinda irritating chasing after a damn olm man after killing minotaurs and night trolls.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »

Depends on who gave you the quest. If a Peasant gave you the quest then you can ignore it - it isn't like you have to do every quest they give you. If a Lord gave you the quest however, and there are few Lords in the Civilization your playing with, then you might have trouble since they won't assign you a new quest until you complete the current one.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »

Yeah, there are no consequences for ignoring a quest, other than that one lord not giving you a quest again.  I don't think I've ever seen a lord tell me to kill anything in the sewers, likely because they usually only send you after megabeasts.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »

Yeah, there are no consequences for ignoring a quest, other than that one lord not giving you a quest again.  I don't think I've ever seen a lord tell me to kill anything in the sewers, likely because they usually only send you after megabeasts.

Generally, if a humanoid is being enough of a threat, the Lord will give you a quest to dispose of the individual as an initial starter quest to 'prove your herohood'. This usually happens before they send you off to fight the Dragon, Titan, or neighbourhood menace of today that needs disposing of.

I've been given quests to dispose of 'Criminal Amphibian Women' in the sewers, 'Troublesome Human Vampires' in the Human Towns, and an assortment of dangerous Bandits from within Crypts, Dungeons, or elsewhere. Sadly, some of the humanoids I've been sent after are even tougher then the Megabeasts since they come with highly trained skills or powerful weapons.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »

Huh, I haven't actually encountered that before, I usually do as much work as possible for their subjects first, maybe that's why. Or maybe I've just never had the RNG roll me one of those.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v