Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Official Brokers and Chief Medical Dwarves?  (Read 1197 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Official Brokers and Chief Medical Dwarves?
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:24 pm »

As I was poking through the raws, I noticed that both the broker position and the chief medical dwarf had [NUMBER:1] in their code, meaning you could only have one of them.  And yet we've all experienced the occasion when traders or wounded soldiers were waiting on a dwarf who suddenly decided to have something to drink and then go on vacation.  Has anyone tweaked this number to 2 or 3 to reduce the chances of that annoyance?  If so, was it a smooth result or were there complications?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Official Brokers and Chief Medical Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:51:52 pm »

I can't really imagine why you'd want more chief medical dwarves, since they're just like any other doctor with the labors enabled. Broker could be nice, I guess, but you can always just set it so anyone can trade. Now more hammerers, THAT'd be nice!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

You can also change the broker at will.

It would be nice to have backups, just to save on the minor annoyance of changing brokers or finding another dwarf who has enough medical skill to enable the Health screen, but it's just a matter of a few keystrokes saved. The game even tells you the relevant skills of each candidate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:57:18 am »

your dwarf needs medical skill to enable the health screen? I never noticed that

as for the broker, I just allow "anybody can trade". As long as the broker has appraisal I'll see values and since by year 3 I've got more to sel than I want to buy the bartering skills don't matter that much and it spreads the social skill gain around abit
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:47:02 am »

your dwarf needs medical skill to enable the health screen? I never noticed that

as for the broker, I just allow "anybody can trade". As long as the broker has appraisal I'll see values and since by year 3 I've got more to sel than I want to buy the bartering skills don't matter that much and it spreads the social skill gain around abit
Actually no. You just need to appoint a dwarf to take the post of chief medical dwarf to enable the health screen, but people tend to appoint dwarves with medical skills.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »

I'm also still operating under the assumption that the chief medical dwarf is required to make a diagnosis before any other dwarves can treat the patient.  Has this been changed, is it still in effect, or was it a lie all along?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »

AFAIK, it was always a lie.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:17 pm »

Huh.  You'd think it'd be easier to figure out that sort of thing was a lie, but when you've got an injured dwarf bleeding out in the hospital and your entire medical staff is listed as being either asleep or 'no job'...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »

I was also intrigued at the idea of creating multiple brokers, managers, and book keepers for a fortress. I might just do this for my current fort. I'm unsure if editing the entity file requires a regen.

Might as well give it a try. Worst that happens if it doesn't work, I just revert back to the old save.

I've noticed that with a very large fortress a book keeper has to work nearly continually in order to keep up with the stocks. The more items, the faster the knowledge seems to decay, so the more they have to work. Its to the point that if you have a single dwarf being a manager and book keeper they may not have time for anything else at all, because they're just too busy.

Anyone already tried this? If so, what happened? I'm curious now. I'm also going to give this a try regardless just to see what happens.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »

Huh.  You'd think it'd be easier to figure out that sort of thing was a lie, but when you've got an injured dwarf bleeding out in the hospital and your entire medical staff is listed as being either asleep or 'no job'...

You must have just missed all threads where someone mentioned this and got told it didn't matter. In fact, diagnostic skill only affects the speed, so if you activate it on your whole fort, there is always someone idle to do it, same with the other medical skill. There is no success rate, only speed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:10:46 pm »

Actually no. You just need to appoint a dwarf to take the post of chief medical dwarf to enable the health screen, but people tend to appoint dwarves with medical skills.
You do need Novice or better Diagnostician on the CMD to keep track of the fortress's overall health. Thirst and hunger are the main statuses you want to look out for -- a sweep through the health screen every month or so will pick out hungry animals and dwarves stuck without food and water somewhere.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »

Allegedly, unskilled diagnosers will screw up diagnoses, such as misinterpreting cuts as rotten lungs (the most famous example).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.