Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reverse FPS death  (Read 2122 times)

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reverse FPS death
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:35:57 am »

Don't play the game 300fps or over (I was running at 1000fps, then tried again at 300fps, but was still too fast). This game would do well with a fast forward button, but when a fortress matures anything over 100fps causes FPS death from having far too much to deal with. Vampires started killing off my livestock and dwarves, all the while several of my dwarves went batshit insane occupying my crafts workshop ensuring I can not get 5 memorial stones engraved for all the dead the vampire/s have killed. This all happened in a few minutes.

I will admit, a fast forward, or uncap FPS, button would be awesome for beginning forts, but useless later on. My FPS cap is now happily set at 100fps. Seriously, I will just have to be patient.

EDIT: Fixed for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:42:24 am by K.I.L.E.R »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse FPS death
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:49:11 am »

I have to admit, after playing a mature fort for a while even starting a new one at 100fps feels like I'm missing most of the action. I can't imagine how crazy 1,000 fps must have been.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:22 am »

Getting fps lower than 100 is almost my definition of fps death. I don't understand how there re people playing this game t less than 80fps D:

But yeah, 1000fps sounds a little too fast to be manageable :P

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

When I play I usually set the cap to 50.  Things don't get done all that quickly, but any higher and I don't notice what's going on in the fort because it all happens too fast.  Then again my forts are unbelievably micromanaged, and I watch everything that happens so maybe I'm alone on this. 
where is up?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »

When I play I usually set the cap to 50.  Things don't get done all that quickly, but any higher and I don't notice what's going on in the fort because it all happens too fast.  Then again my forts are unbelievably micromanaged, and I watch everything that happens so maybe I'm alone on this.

I agree, I set the cap to 45fps from the beginning.

The whole fun of DF is watching all the detailed interactions and narratives play out, being able to sculpt their experiences in endless ways, and living the dwarven adventures alongside the participants. I'd play SimCity if I just wanted to plunk stuff down and let it run.

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:53:47 pm »

Getting fps lower than 100 is almost my definition of fps death. I don't understand how there re people playing this game t less than 80fps D:

Ive been playing my current fort at 25 fps for nearly 4 dwarf years now  :-\

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

Ive been playing my current fort at 25 fps for nearly 4 dwarf years now  :-\

If it makes you feel any better, I play 3x3 worlds with a population cap of zero :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »

The biggest thing I've found to help me deal with lower FPS's is multitasking. If I'm working on several different things at the same time (watching the miners, having the peasants building that wall, checking on the progression of trap installation in the goblin grinder) then it sort of tricks your mind into not realizing that all of the tasks are going slower individually. (After all from my tests you are actually getting more done with a large dwarf low FPS fort then with a small dwarf high FPS fort since the amount of work gained per dwarf outweighs the amount of work lost as FPS drops.) It's just that because each individual task moves forwards slower your brain thinks less is happening.

As for me, I tend to cap my FPS at 500, though most actual forts start at somewhere between 150 and 250 depending on the site. Then I tend to keep playing it until I get bored of the fort (most of the time my FPS has been in the 20-30 range for several years at this point).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »

I usually have my FPS set to 70 maximum. Let's me react to combat ... fairly well, without going at a snails pace.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »

I always had it at 50 for the last 3 years. The movement speed looks lifelike and it lets me react to things before they get out of hand.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:09:23 am »

I've gotten use to it. Game runs at 450FPS when I first embark. By year 5 it's down to 100. By year 10, it's about 50.