Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fermentable fruits  (Read 1302 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fermentable fruits
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:57:09 am »

Just read the main page and it seems Tarn is about to implement fruits.
I think it would be a good idea to give fruits a [CONTAINS_SUGAR] tag, and make any edibles with that tag brew-able into ciders or wines.

Why? Because more booze.
And i think it would benefit the game if we let the game code decide what the outcome of the brewing will be based on what we define the fruit is made of.

Also a [CONTAINS_SUGAR] tag instead of a full blown reaction in the raws would make it a bit easier to create procedurally generated genera of trees and shrubs. (which i assume will be added to the game before 2050)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: fermentable fruits
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:39 am »

Fruits are coming and will likely have appropriate alcohols, but i definitely support "contains sugar" for alcohol production as well as dietary calculations (along with Proteins/Fats/Etc...)

There might be problem with actually "brewed" alcohols - because base ingredients do not contain sugars required for fermenting until processed.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fermentable fruits
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:42 am »

Grapes and apples (like most fruits) contain plenty of sugar for fermentation. But if you're talking about beer, then yes. The yeasts for brewing beer get their sugar from hydrolysis of the starch in malted barley.
I'm willing to look past that because it would make the production beers too complicated to work properly.

But maybe there needs to be differentiated between a brewery and a distillery.
A brewery being where beers, wines and ciders are made, and a distillery where brewery products are concentrated into brandy, jenever, rum, vodka, etc.
Note that "concentrated" means something like "3 go in, 1 comes out".

Also, according to wikipedia: "The earliest evidence of the distillation of alcohol comes from the School of Salerno in southern Italy in the 12th century".
So hurrah for <1400s.