Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children ignoring burrows  (Read 747 times)

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Children ignoring burrows
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:06:06 am »

In my current overland fort i have a large goblin snatcher problem so i decided to lock all children in a dining room/food stockpile burrow which i call a kindergarten, however they are just following their mother baby duckling style all over the place, is this a bug or am i doing something wrong? I have assigned them to burrow while they were babies could that be a problem since babies are stuck to their mothers? The only current option to solve this is "woman stays at home in the kitchen" approach but i don't want to wait 12 years for kids to grow up.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Children ignoring burrows
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:12:04 am »

contrary to what you'd expect, burrows don't restrict movement, just where jobs can be accepted. So, an idle child (most of them) can still walk wherever and likes to follow momma.

Similarly, you can have a workshop somewhere, add a bedroom and food and drinks stockpile at all kinds of different locations without having to add all the corridors to the burrow.

Civilian burrows restrict movement, but can only be active for everyone or not active
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:47:58 am »

Build a room with levers and some beds in it, and designate it as a dormitory. Restrict those levers to only the children you want to contain. Have them pull those levers, then while they're in the room seal it off somehow. Channel through the ceiling from the level above and throw in some food and booze so they don't starve (if you set up a couple wells leading to a decent-sized reservoir in the room you don't even need to give them booze.) Leave them there until they're all adults and will actually do work, then let them out.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:32:21 pm »

my solution is actually "don't go above ground"

dig out a soil layer, maybe irrigate a rock one, and start underground tree farms, the fungus trees grow faster too, I think. I might have some large game traps on the surface, so cage carriers might still go there, but in time, my own animals will produce enough meat, leather and bones... underground with it! Fishing, now, fishing... hmmm. How many meals did we have at last census? 9000? and how many dwarfs? 210? well, unless someone wants shell which is much rarer nowadays, screw fishing.

So cave adaption is an issue if your warriors ever have to sally forth out of the comfortable shades of the fort out in the glaring blaze of the sky forge (sun). So give them an "outhouse" to train at that is easily cut off from the fort when not in use, but keeps the military training outside
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:56:44 pm »

It is a known bug.