Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature occupying site?  (Read 791 times)

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature occupying site?
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:46 am »

So i'm trying to build a wall and it just so happens that some there is a ditch on one side of the construction site. It seems that because of this ditch the dwarves that try to build my wall fail to do so and I keep getting this messages: 'cancels construction: creature occupying site'. I think this happens because they seem to be standing where they are trying to build. Anyone know how to solve this without covering the hole in the ground?

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature occupying site?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:17:00 am »

Is there a vacant square adjacent to the construction spot, or is it all ditch?  If you have an available square, you may just want to cancel the construction and retry, hoping that the dwarf that picks up the task is a bit more level-headed or lucky.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:01:02 am »

This seems to be an annoying problem which can be solved by removing the piece of wall that keeps getting cancelled and placing it again. I in any case never had the same problem 2 times in a row.

I am not quite sure when this feature was added to the game, but I never had this issue with 40d.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:03:14 am »

Totally worked. Thanks guys.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:21 am »

This seems to be an annoying problem which can be solved by removing the piece of wall that keeps getting cancelled and placing it again. I in any case never had the same problem 2 times in a row.

I am not quite sure when this feature was added to the game, but I never had this issue with 40d.
It was introduced in version 0.34.11, and the intent was to prevent dwarves from building the wall from the wrong side and leaving themselves trapped.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.