Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with Pastures  (Read 1136 times)

Pantsmansoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble with Pastures
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:36 am »

Hey all,

I'm trying to setup a little bit of an egg economy and have made a pasture (i>n then N to designate animals to be there) that only accepts my fowl.

However, when I do this, it ovrerides my pasture aboveground where I have my cows, yaks and horses. It seems like no matter how many pastures I create, they all share the same designations.

I don't think this is supposed to operate this way. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jordan

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Pastures
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:29 am »

do you mean dwarfs take them to the pasture?

animals have the three bar thingy if they're in a pasture. It's grey if it's a different pasture than what you're looking at, white when it's the active one
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pantsmansoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:05:19 am »

So I have a pasture built aboveground for all my grazing animals. I have all my grazing animals are selected to stay in this zone (I believe it's white brackets with a green bar in between, but I'm using the LNP tileset). This is so the animals can eat while they hang out.

I have another pasture setup for my egg-laying animals, to keep them near the nesting boxes. But when I try to set the designations for that pasture zone (to allow only egg-laying animals), it overrides my aboveground pasture designations, so the animals begin being led away by dwarfs.

So, in essence, I'm having difficulties creating two separate pastures, allowing different animals.

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:31 am »

just put them in the same pasture as the other animals and put nestboxes in there, they won't be claimed by horses or whatever. you can't have overlapping pastures.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:29 am »

When you are in the menu of an active pasture and press N the game shows a list of all available animals, because you could choose any animal to be assigned to your current pasture. Animals that are already in another pasture have the symbol (white brackets and a green symbol) behind them.
If you scroll through the list and choose an animal for your current pasture (by pressing return) it will get a green symbol in front of it to show that it is marked to be pastured here.

Pantsmansoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51:17 am »

Ah, thanks. It seems that it was just an interface misunderstanding with me. I didn't realize the the white bars indicated a different pasture zone. Thanks!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

The main advantages of 1x2 pasture zones for the nest boxes, is so you can easily see that you have N birds assigned to exactly N nest boxes.

1x1 pasture zones don't work, because when the dwarf retrieves the egg, he knocks the bird out of the pasture.  So I always do 1x2 pastures, with the nest box on the "outside" towards where the dwarf will come from.