Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Extreme enviromental climate do you prefer to make forts in?

Freezing
- 25 (32.1%)
Scorching
- 15 (19.2%)
Evil Freezing
- 14 (17.9%)
Evil Scorching
- 6 (7.7%)
Terrifying (Any Biome/Climate.)
- 18 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which Extreme Climate do you prefer?  (Read 3303 times)

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which Extreme Climate do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:13 pm »

same as in real life, scorching. as someone who spent several years working outdoors, I see it this way; heat is a misery, but cold is a pain. being really hot makes you miserable, but being really cold is a painful experience. I would rather be unhappy than in pain any day. while sunburns may be painful, at least you dont get them if you stay in the shade. In dwarf fortress, I like the hot climes because the water never freezes, snow never comes, and most of the really hot places are my favored biomes. deserts, grasslands, and really hot swamps.

Heh, I feel I'm your exact reverse; I prefer Freezing.

Where I live, I prefer to be inside, and being outside is a curse. The temperatures during the summertime are 'technically' pleasant, but the humidity here isn't. Only during the Mid Fall through to the Mid Spring does it really become pleasant to go outside. When it really begins to get cold, the temperatures are still tolerable.

I prefer colder climates to hotter ones. It makes for a fun challenge figuring out water concerns, plus if you are like me and have embarked in many different biomes recently, the blandness and confinemen of having to play underground comes as a refreshing change.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »

You sure? I had an incident (albeit a few years ago) where my dwarves started dying of dehydration since I didn't realize I ran out of booze and I had that order set. I don't think Toady changed that.

Yurp. Just tried a boozeless test embark, they ignore the order after a little while of thirst. It sounds like a tweak he would make, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 05:23:34 am »

Zombie GDS.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 06:12:59 am »

Scorchio!

Hate to admit it, but I don't yet have Teh Mad Skillz™ to survive in a place where finding liquid water is an epic-level challenge in and of itself or giant zombie eagles rip to shreds anyone who is not underground and barricaded within the first 5 ticks...  :-[
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:37 am »

Evil Freezing
Nothing like sitting on a warm fungiwood throne in front of a magma fireplace, sipping the best dwarven whiskey and a nice bearded dwarven wench on your lap while the siege outside is freezing their ass of on the surface and fighting undead polar bears and racoons while getting pincushioned by goblin bone bolts.
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

I believe evil is out of place in the poll here. It has been ascertained already that everyone loves evil embarks. As for hot/cold, I definitely prefer the latter. Glaciers and tundra remind me of those north myths even though there were no glaciers and tundras in them. Also rebel station on Hoth  :o
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 11:22:11 am »

I believe evil is out of place in the poll here. It has been ascertained already that everyone loves evil embarks. As for hot/cold, I definitely prefer the latter. Glaciers and tundra remind me of those north myths even though there were no glaciers and tundras in them. Also rebel station on Hoth  :o
Erm... Iceland, Greenland?

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

Freezing. I just like the aesthetic of any aboveground structure, road, etc. you build quickly becoming covered in snow. Your fortress just blends right into the landscape, hard to tell it's even there. And the inevitable trails of blood and vomit show up brilliantly against the snow for a time before they, too, are covered once again in white.

Also, ice. Towers made of ice are just awesome.

Not to mention it summons up nostalgia relating to Nist Akath, the mountains above Moria, Song of Ice and Fire, and so on.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »

Freezing. I just like the aesthetic of any aboveground structure, road, etc. you build quickly becoming covered in snow. Your fortress just blends right into the landscape, hard to tell it's even there. And the inevitable trails of blood and vomit show up brilliantly against the snow for a time before they, too, are covered once again in white.

Did the vomit thing get fixed? I know that blood seems to "decay" when its out in a freezing biome. The cold seems to get rid of it somehow. Falling snow cleans it up. But vomit seems to be immune to this, or at least last time I played which was several revisions ago.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:29 pm »

same as in real life, scorching. as someone who spent several years working outdoors, I see it this way; heat is a misery, but cold is a pain. being really hot makes you miserable, but being really cold is a painful experience. I would rather be unhappy than in pain any day. while sunburns may be painful, at least you dont get them if you stay in the shade. In dwarf fortress, I like the hot climes because the water never freezes, snow never comes, and most of the really hot places are my favored biomes. deserts, grasslands, and really hot swamps.

This dude just summed up all my feelings into one long awesome sentence
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:43:36 pm by Hurize »
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 07:24:58 pm »

In Alberta, it's too bloody hot out right now. 30 degrees (Celsius) and sunny burns my delicate Canadian complexion, but -30 is fine if you've got a coat and sweats (and mittens and a hat!). Once I took my DS out of my warm house to -35 weather and the hinge snapped :-\

So yeah, freezing is better because
  • Glaciers are like aquifers that stay put
  • If you can cave-in a bit of the glacier then fresh water isn't an issue, unlike Scorching where it evaporates
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:13 pm »

I prefer fat-burning levels of Scorching; the environment slaughters just about anything that tries to camp me. Of course, all bets are off if there isn't a water source.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]