Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A hand crafted embark, just for you.  (Read 1368 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A hand crafted embark, just for you.
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:35 pm »

Here is a hand crafted embark, just for you.  It was created using Perfectworld and a whole lot of DFhack.  I designed the whole place to make a wonderful, easy, beautiful fortress, where dwarves can live in safety and focus on important things like making really cool deathtraps for the incoming goblins and beasties, and making aluminum artifact socks that menace with spikes of forgotten beast bone.  The abandoned fortress has not been touched by a pick, and there's no supplies left behind.  It looks just like new!

Dwarf Fortress 34.11
Ashiomon
The Wonderous Realms
The Accidental Land
The Rounded Desert

Ibruk Sedil
The Ash of Angels

This is a hand crafted 2x3 embark area. 

The surface is a featureless plane of black sand and dolomite boulders, and is populated by the dreaded two-hump camel, rattlesnakes, honey and bumble bees, barn owls and coyotes.

As a special offer, embarking here gets you one(1) free Gaint Olm Leather. (because i can't make it go away for the life of me.) 

The first three layers are black sand, and the next five are special delivery solid dolomite.  No clusters, no veins, just dolomite.  After that is 4 layers of dolomite with clusters of magnetite, jet and gypsum, with veins of bituminous coal, galena and native aluminum.  Below that is 4 layers of obsidian, with clusters of jet and alunite, and veins of sphalerite, native gold and tetrahedrite. 

Level 17 is made of Gneiss, and is the beginning of the cave layers.  The caves contain water and reptile men. The magma begins at level 30, and there are 2 pillars of delicious delicous demon candy.

That's where it is but you can find it easily by reclaiming. 

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ryq2n5w8uxel6hj

I've tried it out for 3 years to make sure nothing was hinky and so far my fortress is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!  I recommend bringing wood as there is none, and quickly trading for wool to satisfy moods.  Let me know if you like this map, maybe i'll hand craft some others. (like an evil undead and terrible mist embark.)

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Re: A hand crafted embark, just for you.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »

Sounds beautiful, I'll have a look. It's a damn royal pain trying to find an embark with coal, ore and flux.

Gotten lucky recently, found a nice embark with
Forest / River
chalk / magnetite
lignite.
Serene forest, but a nearby Nec tower and all civs.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:57 am »

Sounds beautiful, I'll have a look. It's a damn royal pain trying to find an embark with coal, ore and flux.

Gotten lucky recently, found a nice embark with
Forest / River
chalk / magnetite
lignite.
Serene forest, but a nearby Nec tower and all civs.
How do you go about finding coal?

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:09:35 am »

You don't. That's the trick. :P
Nah I kid. Get DFhack, "Prospect all" the embark before you start.

I wouldn't use DFhack, but the site finder tends to list 1 level of marble 5 levels above the magma sea as an embark with flux. Think of the prospect command as in the old versions were it showed the actual stones on an embark... e.g Clay, soil, limestone, chalk, orthoclase.

Still, bituminous coal and lignite are pretty rare; most of the time I just go without. Flux and ore is enough if there's wood on the map.