Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart maddness  (Read 821 times)

Dradd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Minecart maddness
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:30:05 am »

So my first attempt at making a minecart track has been a huge headache. Instead of making a huge pump stack to bring the magma up I decided first I'd make a minecart track down the 130 Z's to my furnace. Problem is, I can't seem to find where the track is broken. I've made sure to inspect every section of track for unusable ramps and ramps that weren't going in the right directions.

Are there any restrictions as to how quickly you can make the track turn or any weird rule like that?? I'd be glad to submit my map for inspection if someone points me to the website.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart maddness
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:35:01 am »

Most likely you've designated the ramps in a wrong way, since there's a small trick to it. You have to designate both the ramp tile AND one wall tile that is in the direction where your track continues and is directly next to the ramp, in the same level. Also, the wiki has instructions regarding this.

Dradd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:15 am »

Well I've read the wiki and watched a few tutorials, still no luck. The only portion I'm not sure about is this:

In the following situation I've been building the up ramp manually (why I removed the ramps in the first place is another story). Do I need to then designate track from the Up ramp to the North wall? The Up ramp currently in place is an Upward ramp (NW).

U is up ramp
T is track
D is down ramp

Bottom
XXXX
XXXX
TTUX
XXXX

XXTX
XXTX
XXDX
XXXX

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »

You can only designate tracks on natural stone. Constructed tracks need to be constructed in their final configuration, ie. as though already carved.

The ramp needs to be built as NW, and the flat track NS or EW as appropriate.

To find missing links you can create a stop at one end of the track and then keep creating and deleting a test stop along the track until the route is broken. This is much easier if your test stops are physically capable of sending a cart one tile north, as that's the default departure direction for stops.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dradd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:13 am »

Thanks, that worked. Now I only need to figure out why the % full won't change even though 100 dorfs are loading the cart non-stop. For some reason all the iron bars are being stacked one tile north of the cart.

Is that a normal problem or does it have to do with what i pick to load? O and is there any way to keep half my fort from loading one cart? It seems like it defeats the purpose of building the track if half my fort is being used anyways.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:06:59 am »

Minecarts can take A LOT of stuff, and you may have set the starting stop to dump north. If so, you have to build it again.

Dradd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:19 am »

Ah HAH! that was it. Thanks for the help guys.

After all this work it seems like a pump stack may have been easier after all. Plus I'd have the added bonus of a magma moat.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:11 am »

Easier in some respect, but definitely more FPS consuming.