Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: out of loop; what do I need to know  (Read 840 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
out of loop; what do I need to know
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:23 pm »

I went out of the loop since beehives began to be introduced; if I assume it's the same game what FUN will I bump into (Not additions of extra FUN clowns, cotton candy eruptions or whatnot) [Rather are Aquifers hidden or farming needs constant watering or whatnot that would lead to stupid deaths from drowning/starvation] 

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: out of loop; what do I need to know
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

Aquifers are pretty obvious. Farms can be built on any dirt, and mud.

Beehives are kinda useless but I started using them and they're kinda charming, plus you can station angry bees at your gates and get royal jelly which is high-value.

Other than that I don't really know :P
My wooden badge was delicious.

Trojanhamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »

Aquifers are still visible on the embark map, farming hasn't really changed.

One annoyance I've run into is the new hauling mechanics, dwarves will now bring a bin/barrel from the stockpile to collect the item rather than the other way around, this sounds great in theory, but in practice they make your entire supply of plump helmets unavailable as they march them off to your farm to grab the one newly grown stack causing your brewer to throw a fit and cancel his drink making. This can be avoided by having a no-container stockpile feeding your main stockpile and having your main stockpile only take from that, but it's really annoying and I don't think it added much.

In that same vein dwarves are now much more easily overloaded when hauling then they were before (Or at least they seem to be) which makes having wheelbarrows or minecarts a big plus when possible, I personally like this change as it makes me think a lot more about how I set up my forts.

When mining stone and ore they seem to drop at about a 1/5th of the rate with a legendary miner, but when smelting you get additional bars per ore (4 I think) and when making stone blocks you get additional blocks (4 again). This makes blocks a much more attractive route for building materials especially if you didn't have a lot of stone to begin with.

That's all I can think of for the non-spoilery changes, there's probably other stuff I'm not thinking of though.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:44 pm »

You can train (and tame) all sorts of wild animals now.  Not absolutely everything (unicorns can't be tamed), but if you'd like some nice tame wild boars, rattlesnakes, emus... no problem.

In some biomes, you may really want to think about air defense. (See:  Keas)

Keas, Giant Keas, and Kea Men/Women are the new carp/elephants/badgers.

Stone is much heavier and slower for dwarves to carry around now.  Use wheelbarrows and/or minecarts (new features) instead.  Also, you'll get rock (or not) at the same percentage chance whether your miner is a Novice or Legendary.

Your dwarves will have negative thoughts and maybe tantrum if they're naked.  Make some clothes for them.

If you have a hunter in your starting 7, he/she doesn't get a free crossbow.

Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:10 pm »

thx all.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:25 pm »

I'm not quite sure when they were introduced, but there are vampires now and every now and then you will get one among your migrants. In disguise, of course.