Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping magma creatures?  (Read 1001 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Trapping magma creatures?
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »

So, I want a machinegun bunker of sort, baited armed with a magma crab or four. How would I go about capturing and implementing such a system?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapping magma creatures?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:32:49 pm »

With great difficulty and care.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »

Not that I'm an expert about such a thing, although finding some lava and planting a big bunch of cage traps might eventually catch some, if you leave bait out. (EG. Spare cats.)
If Magma crabs are building destroyers, you might be able to lure them in with a chair in the middle of a cave near lava or some such.
I think.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:14 pm »

Sounds awesome... Are magma-safe cage traps possible? Maybe nethercap with safe-stone mechanisms?
I've never tried-- but if possible I'd assume you could use the same theory for trapping large fish and mermaids. Channel out an area to be magma-flooded that you can drain easily, line it with magma-safe cage traps, floodgates on the inflow and multiple outflow into something like an evaporation chamber and another off the edge of the map/back into the magma layer to create flow. The whole operation smacks of powered pumping, pressure traps and FUN.

It would be a royal pain in the ass to find magma crabs though-- you'd probably end up with magma men or fire imps trying to invade.

Problem 1) There's a bloody lot of magma. depending on the size and or flow of the trapping area you'd probably end up waiting years for a single one.

Maybe straining the magma sea into hell through a few trapped grate areas?
But that would be a waste of magma.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

Yeah, then put them in little pillboxes and connect their cages to a lever. Pull the lever and bam! But you may also want to block 'em off with a bridge so they don't fire basalt at the outpost liaison.

Hopefully they'll breed so you can maintain a long-term population. :D
My wooden badge was delicious.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:05 pm »

Do they breed? might need to go and mod the raws. That might make capturing them more viable since there are more. The only real difficulty I see is that straining out several Z levels of magma to catch maybe 5-10 crabs with even a 20-50 tile room would take ages.
Also IIRC Fire imps or magma men can radiate their heat outside of the cage, scorching the fat out of your animal haulers.

Intresting Note: Crabs lay eggs.
So what's that, add in the EGG, CHILD and PET tags? I don't mod the raws, lol.
Who needs hens and ducks when you have your nestboxs full of tamable WAR MAGMA CRABS.

edit: of course, this would mean that your fort could be fed with eggs made of magma.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:59:16 pm by Iosyn »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »

Magma-safe cages would include glass terrariums, nethercap cages and nickel cages (leaving out other magma-safe metals because they're weapons-grade).
I think the best bet is some sort of magma-safe caging room, complete with pathable pet target and some way to drain the caging chamber in order to collect the caged creatures.

Crabs have eggs IRL too..
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:59 pm »

IIRC, magma crabs and fire imps won't shoot through fortifications, so you might wanna instead put them on a tether in a 3x3 box surrounded by magma-safe bridges. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »

Magma-safe cages would include glass terrariums, nethercap cages and nickel cages (leaving out other magma-safe metals because they're weapons-grade).
I think the best bet is some sort of magma-safe caging room, complete with pathable pet target and some way to drain the caging chamber in order to collect the caged creatures.

Crabs have eggs IRL too..

Do they ingame though?

-- just checked, there are male and female, but no egglayer tags.
Edit: Also I'm not seeing any child tags either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:11:23 pm by Iosyn »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »

Fire imps, magma men, and the like will still work. It's not globs of molten basalt, but a fire jet does the same thing, but with more !!FUN!!.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:05:35 am »

IIRC, magma crabs and fire imps won't shoot through fortifications, so you might wanna instead put them on a tether in a 3x3 box surrounded by magma-safe bridges.
You recall incorrect, with new interaction system they fire at anything through anything just fine. Though breath attacks only affect the same z-level (but can be triggered by creature on the other).

As for capturing, magma creatures spawn very rarely now and move little. I'd go with obsidianizing magma sea edges and leaving small corridor for trapping.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science