Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy armor  (Read 1596 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Heavy armor
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:07:03 am »

Hmm, has armor always been this heavy?
Playing a demon of pain in genesis mod, (3x size of dorf), superdemonic strength and all that, and when I go to wear this iron armor I forged my speed drops from 1838 to 662.
That seems like a lot more of an effect than I remembered.
Inspecting the armor revealed the following weights:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Checking the raws, I found that the density/molarweight of iron hadn't been changed.
Could this be caused by my PC's size increasing the weight of the armor? The weight of the shield indicates not.
It also seems to have a shelf, so my speed'll stay at 1838 for the first 100lbs of encumberment, then drop really fast as I pick up more stuff.

Is there something I don't know about armor, or is heavy armor just kryptonite to this demon?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:09:41 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy armor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:21 am »

What's your armor user skill at?

If you're looking to improve speed (dunno if this works in Genesis), just get a creature, wound it, then strangle it till it dies. This gives you wrestling skill for the next, more important training. Get something, strangle it, break every bone in its body with the lock function, change your combat preferences to close combat, and watch as Demon McStupid grabs and releases every part of the body. Stop and check logs to see if you're strangling it (you don't want this to happen, obviously). Every so often, NoBone the Jellysack will try and bite you or scratch you or push you. Your armor deflects this, and you get armor skill raising speed.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:31:57 am »

AH! That's it right there- didn't know armor penalties were based on your skill. Here I was thinking my old characters were just getting faster. Derp.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:46 am »

Could this be caused by my PC's size increasing the weight of the armor? The weight of the shield indicates not.
Shields aren't catered to different sizes, a shield for a Kobold is the same for a colossus. Armor is, so if your guys is pretty big, his armor is pretty big.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »

That was why it indicated the armor wasn't big- the shield would be a standard-kinda weight, and since the heaviest piece of armor was only twice that of the shield, (which seems about right for a standard set of armor), it indicates that the armor isn't scaled, at least not to a significant degree.
But thank ya guys for responding, cheers.

-edit
heh, seems we were right- my greaves are 2x heavier than standard-sized greaves.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:37:14 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:21 am »

One thing, though: armor has definitely not always been this heavy. In v31.25, for instance, I remember carrying at least a hundred metal arrows or bolts and still moving with at least 75% my unencumbered speed. I think what happened here is that Toady has made weight in general have a greater impact on speed now that minecarts and wheelbarrows are out (they've been out since 34.08, iirc). Before that, Dorfs could haul stone pretty quickly, but now, they haul stone much slower without a wheelbarrow or minecart. I think this is just that same principle applied to adventure mode.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:26 am »

I was going to make a thread about something related to this but forgot.

Basically I've noticed that armor weights vary drastically even in the same size and material.

I've seen human size iron gauntlets range from 1 to 12'ish. One of my adventurers looted an iron shield from kobolds that weighs only 3, when most of them weigh 12 IIRC.

I've noticed it with cloaks too, weighing anything from 1 to 5 or so.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena