Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Countering "no seeds" spam?  (Read 691 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Countering "no seeds" spam?
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:22 am »

How do you keep your dwarves from running around with all your seeds while the idiotic planters stop their work and start spamming job cancellations? I have a huge farming area, and my dwarves sometimes don't plant anything in a whole season, seriously endangering my fortress. Can the mix foods "no" setting help? Or limiting the number of planters?

crew4man

• Bay Watcher
  • Its good...but is it Dwarf?
    • View Profile
Re: Countering "no seeds" spam?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:51 am »

How big do you make your plots? Do you only plant plump helmets? Additionally, making sure your cook is not cooking (cooking destroys seeds), and brewing industry is at 100% (brewing makes seeds), would alleviate the issue. Allocating a separate stockpile just for seeds is a good way to keep them by the farms and easily in your sight.

Another idea, its what I've recently been doing, is selling off one of the axes you start off with in the beginning, and pouring a decent amount of that money into seed money. You can also sell off a few splints, crutches, and other random crap for more seeds/plump helmets.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05:17 am »

I have about 200 individual seeds of every underground plant, and they're scattered around in food stockpiles in barrels. I've had no problems with farming before the latest hauling update, also carefully making sure that no useful seeds or booze are used in cooking. So I guess I'll have to just manually change all my stockpiles not to accept seeds (I have a lot of those stockpiles btw) and jus build a no-barrel seed stockpile somewhere?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:18:10 am »

Creating a seed stockpile that doesnt allow barrels helps stop the "all the seeds are in the barrels being hauled to pickup other seeds" thing.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:39 am »

Ah, excellent. Soon the ordeal shall end. My dwarves have resorted to drinking water already and... HERBALISM!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:34:03 am »

Yep. I always set up a seed stockpile which doesn't allow barrels/bins right next to the farming zone. They will throw the seeds in bags to organize them if you have free bags, and will have easy access when needed.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:07 am »

I should've done that in the beginning, since I also have a bunch of "general purpose" stockpiles, which allow all sorts of stuff including seeds. Now I have to hunt (most of) them down.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:44 am »

I've had really good luck with a double stockpile right next to each other, where one collects from anywhere but doesn't allow barrels, and the other uses barrels but only collects from the first stockpile.  This means dwarves bring the seeds to the stockpile, then put them in barrels.  Much less "can't farm, no seeds" spam this way.

This also works for recovering bolts used by hunters, and goblinite, by the way. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"