Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold destroyed wagon  (Read 512 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold destroyed wagon
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:07 am »

First autumn rolls around, and I've got my depot set up with easy access for wagons which, duly, appear and trundle towards it.  I happily haul my crate upon crate of rock mugs there, set my trader to wait for the merchants, and...

Thief! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!

Ah crap, is that kobold going to steal my mugs?  No...no, it's running to attack the merchants.  Well, scratch one kobold thief, I guess, there's no way that it can outfight the guards of that...

The Kobold Thief attacks The Water Buffalo Cow but She jumps away!

And...the wagon disintegrates.  Because it's just been ripped in half by one of its wagon creatures dodging a kobold thief.

The thief was finished off soon afterwards (naturally), but now those two water buffalo, that wagon's merchant, and its guards are all just hanging around where the attack happened, unmoving.  The other wagon and guards have proceeded to unload at my depot, but the depot states that "There are no merchants trading right now"...presumably because they're waiting for the now-destroyed wagon to roll up.

Sigh.  Has one kobold thief managed to foul up my first dwarven trading caravan?  I really hope not.  I need that fricking anvil.  Is there any way to fix this?  Are they likely to come to their senses soon?  ???

Edit: oh damn it.  They came to their sense alright.  They packed up and left.

I WILL WIPE ALL KOBOLDS FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Edit of the edit: although this did mean that I got a wagon load of goods effectively free apart from the massive reputation damage.  Steel spears and cow's cheese for all!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:32:13 am by jhxmt »
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold destroyed wagon
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »

I hate the be the bearer of bad news but i will anyway.  ;D

I've had several caravans do this to me because of an attack and attacks (ambush, siege) are always showing up with caravans. So much so that my fortress is flooded with 'merchantite'. I'm considering closing the main gate for years at a time and only open them to haul in the loot.

Still, i have plenty to trade when one does finally make it to my depot.