Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Design Suggestion for this Entrance  (Read 781 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Design Suggestion for this Entrance
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:51 am »

So my fellow dwarves,

My fortress is based on a cape surrounded by water from three edges, with only one connection to the mainland.

I'm trying to make a layered entrance to my aboveground fort and my plan is to channel a large moat from the lake on the right, and separate the lower part of the map from the upper part. The channel will run next to the wall on the right side.

The channel will continue downwards from the small pool in the middle next to diagonal wall, and will run down all the way to the bottom of map,  with the main bridge to my fortress.

Now then, I'm quite unsure on how to design the moat which runs from left to right with the following in mind:
 - Having caravan access, but with ambushes (traps) in mind
 - Have a watchtower next to the 3x3 bridge/floor/ground entry

On the very right side of the upper wall, I will dig an entry which will lead to an underground trap corridor (2x wide) runnign under the main wall, if that changes the design (leading probably to a raising bridge over the large moat, so that ambushes/sieges can be channelled to the corridor once detected/announced).

Might even make drowning chamber out of it later.

Here is a picture of said part of the map.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Design Suggestion for this Entrance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:40 am »

make the trading depot seperate from main entrance .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Suggestion for this Entrance
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »

A large, S shaped caravan corridor, with a two tile wide central corridor down the middle, like the dollar sign. Goblins will move down the two tile wide corridor, while the caravan will take the wider, longer S shape. You can fill the middle areas with weapon traps, and the goblins will get splattered without bothering you or the caravans. Ensure that the S is slightly elongated to ensure the goblins will go down the middle.