Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-imposed Challenges?  (Read 2489 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Self-imposed Challenges?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:50:03 pm »

I like to live long enough to see mounted goblin invaders.  After that, or better said, after losing to that, I restart.  Sometimes I go further than mounted goblins, but usually the lag gets the better of me. 

Populations are good standards too.  See if you can reach the population cap, for... (wait for it, wait...) kittens.  Yes kittens.  I wanna say 50, for tame animals.  That the limit? 50?  Not hard that one, doggies can be a lil harder.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:38 pm »

What's the default population cap for Dwarves?
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 05:26:04 pm »

Site cap is 200, I believe that is default too.  Give or take a half dozen babies.  Its a soft cap, that migrants love to tip off the top of our heads. 

Here's the Shark Dentistry data from file d_init.txt  found here.  Enjoy.
C:\Program Files\LazyNewbPack\DF_34_11_win\data\init

Code: [Select]
You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

[POPULATION_CAP:200]

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:31:47 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »

Build a Dwarven equivalent of the Las Vegas Strip (or New Vegas).

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 11:47:26 pm »

i'm definitely going to do the evilbiome thing. How do I take screenshots? I'd like to try posting status updates on the forums.

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

ESC, export local image.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:54 am »

Thank you. On an unrelated note, I just had my first goblin siege and came out on top.

2 gob squads, one swords and one axes. I ordered my military into position, sent my population into their safe house, and complained profusely about timing. I was in the middle of lining up stone-fall traps just for a scenario like this. Didn't get any set up.

I lost 6 dwarves who got cut off from the fort outside and couldn't make it in. I've been playing the fort more economically than militaristic, so I couldn't risk the fort by sending my 3 dwarves into battle and leave the fort unprotected.

Non of my traps worked. My pressure plate didn't register the gobs, so my spike pit was useless, stone-fall traps weren't ready, and my floodgate to seal the fort got jammed when a goblin's arm got caught in it. If I hadn't bottle-necked the goblins they probably would have routed me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:12:19 pm by Exitstrategy »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »

In addition to the levered toll bridge entrance.  Try a secret one-way back door(Goblin Grinder).  So when stragglers don't make the bridge, in time, they still have a way in. 

I'm in the process of repairing my back door, and upgrading it with an artifact awe trap, to prevent the building destroyers from ruining the lead hatch into it.  If I survive this dark vile force, that is.  Not sure I'm gonna however, my military stinks bad. 

Take care, Knutor
Pages: 1 [2]