Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Weapon traps  (Read 4460 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon traps
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:01 pm »

Another thing - I can't remember for sure - will your dwarves butcher skeletons of sentient creatures? I think not, but almost remember so.

Yes, if you adjust the civ ethics. This does require a world regen to take effect.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »

!!SCIENTIFIC!! RESULTS

Despite having a max of 10 spaces between traps, and staggering the traps so it wasn't a straight shot, those ebil gobbos dodged most my weapon traps. I was content with the wound traps that a gobbo rarely stepped on, someone got a busted leg, someone else got a shattered foot.

You need higher-quality mechanisms.  Use only the best ones for weapon traps... If they're still not that good, churn out lots of mechanisms until your mechanics increase their skill levels.

They were very effective--when the gobbos stepped on them

I use superior quality or above for my traps.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

Eh. Mind the megabeasts and nobles, then.
TBH? Nobles are the greater threat. Luckily, I have more space than I know what to do with and two legendary engravers that already made the future residing place of my nobles a royal throne room.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »

for dodge em traps the best weapon is by far serrated disks... they get three attack opportunities per disk, which equals three more opportunities to dodge. This way you can set up a near impenetrable trap defense even if you are desperately low on weapon grade materials.

I currently have a 10x1 tile dodge trap with one standard quality copper serrated disk per trap... the drop is only one zlevel and non lethal, it serves the purpose of cycling enemy's who fall over the traps again and again. A single goblin has yet to cross it unscathed, it chews up sieges and spits them out.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 05:31:54 pm »

instead of dodge traps, why not just have a long series of retractable bridges linked to pressure plates?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »

instead of dodge traps, why not just have a long series of retractable bridges linked to pressure plates?

That will work fine for goblins.

It will not work for trolls. Trolls will just smash the retractable bridges, and so then both trolls and goblins will just stroll right on by. Large enough creatures used as mounts may also destroy the bridges.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:23 pm »

That will work fine for goblins.

It will not work for trolls. Trolls will just smash the retractable bridges, and so then both trolls and goblins will just stroll right on by. Large enough creatures used as mounts may also destroy the bridges.

Objeeeeect. Building destroyers don't break bridges. Trolls aren't big enough either. You need size 1200000 to bust a bridge. Trolls? 250000

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »

Any building destroyer is physically capable of smashing a bridge. Funny thing is, though, that the bridge blocks line of sight to itself, so no building destroyer can target one. Or something to that effect.

Also, Spiked balls are more or less blunt versions of serrated disks. For actual piercing injuries, go for menacing spikes. Copper is sufficent to penetrate goblinite and cause lethal injuries, but modded creatures may have better armor. The spikes on spiked balls are too short to penetrate tissues, so the end up smashing their limbs into puddles of goo. Therefore, make them from silver.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:31 pm »

Personally, I just fire up the war machine and lay down an insane amount of traps in a very long twisted tunnel designed to take up as little space on the map as possible while also maximizing the length of the corridor, with every trap having ten steel trap components, ideally. Enough traps that even if every single dropped corpse clogged a trap, it would still be more than enough to kill the entire force. Armies, I think, are in most situations impractical. Dwarfs are stupid and do stupid things like go on break right before a fight, traps are always ready.

Of course, if the traps don't work... yeah. I try to wall off a section of the surface for trees and miasma piles. Even demons and megabeasts can't go through constructed walls! though of course flying is a problem, but by that time I generally have underground trees and just dump miasma in the caverns or down a pit, and wall off the surface completely. Self-sufficiency FTW.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:40:10 pm by claer_runway »
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:43 am »

I use giant axe blades in the animal slaughterhouse, basically a one-wide hall lined with weapon traps, one weapon per trap.
I had a wild yak chopped into several pieces and when my butcher had finished, he put four pieces of skin in the tanner's stockpile, but the lazy bugger only had time to tan two pieces - I made two more tanneries and assigned two Urist McHaulers as tanners and put more cage traps in the migration paths.  You can get more that one unit of leather from each animal this way - the tanners have produced a unit of leather from a severed Badger's tail.

Other trap weapons don't seem to chop off chunks as well as the axes.  Even better is the Great Axes you get from goblinite or trade with humans.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 2 [3]