Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ballistas - Seemingly random?  (Read 1471 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Ballistas - Seemingly random?
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:52:50 am »

So, is the firing cone of a ballista completely random, or does the operator actually aim? When I used wooden ballista arrows, none of them hit anything (just hit the walls of my main corridor), but the first time I shot a iron one it hit a troll (broke it's arm-passed out in pain) and a giant olm and killed a cave crocodile. My operators were all competent, and the ballista was made by a novice. How do these qualities affect this? I know that catapults "aim" at hostiles, just wondering if that's true for the ballista as well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistas - Seemingly random?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56:54 am »

they do, they're just very inaccurate. Bolt and balista quality and operator skill help, but not much
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:34:18 am »

Okay, so replacing the old ballista with a better quality one won't help much? Would be very nice if the bolt could fly straight just a bit more often, since it's just so damn cool when it does and then score 10 headshots on a horde of rat-riding goblins.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

I've noticed a drastic decrease in deviations, but usually my bolts, even with everything good, still go quite a bit off-course, though not the 45 degrees I've seen before.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

I thought quality of siege engine affected accuracy, and skill of operator rate of fire?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »

I thought quality of siege engine affected accuracy, and skill of operator rate of fire?

good point however, assume the worst, hope the best

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:39:48 pm »

Back in 40d, it was always recommended to built your siege engines out of only masterwork parts for the accuracy. Bolt quality affects the damage, if I remember right, with siege operator skill being the rate of fire's main factor.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »

Yep, seems so that skill affects reload speed. Can't make masterwork parts yet, but I'll try them out eventually. Until then shooting my precuious steel ballista arrows is a gamble.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:09:58 am »

you can very handily combine a dodge/fall trap with a ballista bolt retrieval system

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

Siege engines definitely work best if you can keep the target stationary.

Try building an artifact furniture, such as an artifact table or armor stand, and use that as bait. Building destroyers will attempt to destroy it, but artifacts cannot be harmed, so they will just be stuck there. Then you can shoot at them with siege engines.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:47:15 am »

you can very handily combine a dodge/fall trap with a ballista bolt retrieval system

I like to use a dodging pit, combined with multiple ballistas on the sides. It actually works quite well, considering it only uses ballistas and crossbows.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

Mine is located some tiles away from a retracting bridge pitfall trap. Once the bridge retracts, enemies crowd at my entrance and If the bolt flies straight through the 3-tile wide corridor the results are devastating. I may widen the hallway a bit so that I can make channels to both edges of the entryway, because most of the time the bolts just hit the wall on the sides.