Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow Spam?  (Read 755 times)

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow Spam?
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:39 am »

So, I rarely use burrows...I prefer to set up an efficient fort so they are not needed. I, however, wanted to lock my metal workers in the magma forges (dining room, dorms, blah blah) to work. However, even with all hauling disabled I seem to be getting a stupid amount of "innaccessable" item spam from these clowns.

Any suggestions?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Burrow Spam?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:03 am »

Your post is kind of vague. You say you "wanted" to lock them into the forge area. Did you lock them in? Are you using a burrow? Are the stockpiles in your forge area all linked to the smelters/forges?

Burrows are not absolute boundaries. Your dwarves will not stay in them all the time, no matter what. They just won't take jobs or pickup materials outside the burrow. So, if you have them in a burrow and you are getting that spam then my guess is that materials they need are outside the burrow. Hauling doesn't have to be enabled for them to grab materials they need to start a job.

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:11:16 am »

The stuff they need is locked inside. Yes they are burrowed down there. Yet they still want to "drop" stuff off somewhere else with no hauling labors enabled, so i get "area is innaccessable" spam from them when they are not sitting in the forges :\

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:30 am »

Tough call without seeing your fort up close & personal.  If you have any of your stockpiles linked to your smelters and forges, then you must link every other stockpile that has materials it might need. For example if you have a stockpile of iron bars linked to your forge but not copper bars, then the copper is invisible to your smiths.

On the other hand, if you have no stockpiles linked to your smelters and forges, then your smiths will try to grab materials from anywhere in the fortress.

If this is not your problem then it's the burrow. Does the burrow cover all stockpiles that they may need?

I would either do a burrow, or lock them in, not both. Seems overkill.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:09 am »

If they're locked in you don't need a burrow.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:00:37 pm »

Are your melt items in the burrow.  I never figured out how to stockpile, just the stuff I want to melt down.  Could be the hauler complaining he can't get into the locked smelter.  Are you sure its the burrowed dwarf, that are producing the burrow spam?  Could it be another dorf complaining?

For me, I prefer to use burrow for my sniper roost, and my CIV danger alert, and lastly for the hospital, to keep nurses footfalls at a minimum.  I've never tried burrowing crafters, really not a good person to answer this.  But its my guess, your melt item is borking up things.  Or your burrowed guys can't find a new pair of socks.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.