Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Past dwarfs migrating to my fort  (Read 622 times)

cken1774

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Past dwarfs migrating to my fort
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »

Ok my last fort exploded in magical insanity fun time cause im a cruel horrible person and everyone went mad.

Next fort, possibly the best start up id had so far playing DF, beyond a langur stealing one of my picks 5 minutes into the game everything is going swimmingly. first migrant wave i thought my dwarf therapist had glitched because it was showing old nicknames but sure enough i get a wave of 7 of my old dwarves. they wander quite happily into my fort and my old sheriff tantrums and kills my starting hunter, my old legendary bonecrafter kills my expedition leader, the subsequent fight kills my new militia commander and both the nutters die. then to top it off my old metalsmith and one of my old militia dwarfs go into melancholy. one fell swoop and i have the same number of dwarves but have lost most of the useful ones.

is this supposed to happen, i know DF has a twisted sense of humour but bloody hell =P

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Past dwarfs migrating to my fort
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »

Yes. Historical figures can migrate, and I think if you abandon a thriving fortress you can re-visit it and meet all your dwarves in adventure mode.

This is why I love DF.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:20:49 pm »

Note that only abandoning a fort leads to survivor migrants. As I rarely abandon (I somehow feels like losing -- in the wrong way), I rarely get legacy migrants. This means that my crumbled forts leave a clean slate to work with, although my parent civ population may dwindle a bit.

I think if you abandon a thriving fortress you can re-visit it and meet all your dwarves in adventure mode.
This requires a bit of hacking trickery (dfhack?), since normal abandoning leads to just that: an abandoned fort. There's still some nice loot there, if you can survive the creatures that tend to migrate into deep holes.

EDIT: But yes, this is another reason to love DF ;)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »

I'm a bit too defensive, so I rarely have death induced tantrum spirals, which usually makes me go and make dwaren outposts where adventurers might want them, so I regularly get old inhabitants as migrants. On that point, I don't make a new world for every fort or adventurer. Half the fun is having engravings of yourself killing a dragon in your next fort.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.