Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flux...  (Read 3555 times)

senger00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Flux...
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:19 am »

Ive made like 15 worlds, several had different volcanism settings, the rest was just from 'Create new wold'(mostly ~125years all of them), and there was absolute 0 of flux stones except marble(DFHack). I found that ores and Coal depends rather on mineral frequency, but theres still no flux stone.
It's just so weird, can't say Im just unlucky...
v0.34.11 through Lazy Newb Pack.
Any ideas how to change this?:)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Flux...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:07:16 am »

Unless this problem has been fixed, the map screen can falsely state that there is no flux on a site where there is (need confirmation).

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:15:01 am »

Are you trying for something special like volcano embarks?  The flux stones tend to be sedimentary (and like erosion) and they and vulcanism sometimes do not mix well.

I've noted that the prospecting often misses sand being on a site too.  Recently picked one for flux, metals, clay, etc.  and settled for not having sand.  The entire layer of soil between two clay layers on most of the site was white sand...
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:21:17 am »

Are you trying for something special like volcano embarks?  The flux stones tend to be sedimentary (and like erosion) and they and vulcanism sometimes do not mix well.

I've noted that the prospecting often misses sand being on a site too.  Recently picked one for flux, metals, clay, etc.  and settled for not having sand.  The entire layer of soil between two clay layers on most of the site was white sand...
It never shows sand.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

senger00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:58 am »

The map screen. I also read that site finder can lie.
But does DFHack lie?

Ores containing iron and Bituminous Coal only appears if I set Mineral Frequency to Everywhere, and thats kind of sad.
I want to get some iron/coal but not 'Everywhere', dont want to get it TOO easy

Im a newb btw:D

I only changed the Volcanism Weighted Range. And I dont embark, just doing worlds and checking them with DFHack.
On one world earlier prospecting showed marble, various sand and Chalk(so i believe it doesnt miss)

Thanks for fast replies, very nice:)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:56 am »

I can confirm that mineral frequency "everywhere" will stuff up the thing and it won't tell you about flux. I just put it to one less than everywhere and you should find something with deep and shallow metals

Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:58 am »

But does DFHack lie?
DFHack never lies, at least I haven't experienced such thing. Even if I don't see flux immediately there is quite often some marble near the magma sea, so I think DFHack is detecting those when listing marble.

Ores containing iron and Bituminous Coal only appears if I set Mineral Frequency to Everywhere, and thats kind of sad.
I usually use advanced parameters myself and setting the mineral frequency somewhere between 130 and 190 results iron and coal but not everywhere and not always much, unless I get a lucky with my embark location.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:50 am »

Marble works fine anyway. Just make a minecart rute to the marble layers and ou are set.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:25 am »

Doesn't DFHack only prospect the selected Biome? So there might be stuff in the other biomes of your embark area.

senger00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:51 am »

prospect all works on whole map

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:53 pm »

Yeah, you'll want to check all the biomes. On the other hand, check the prepare carefully screen and see if your dorf civ has access to flux, that way you'll have a source of if even if you can't find any. I've had it as small as a single tile due to the embark site being just on the edge of a biome.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40:23 pm »

If you're a newb, go with default world gen settings.  Settle in to a site that looks likely to be good on the site finder, and make do with whatever you get.  Run that fortress until it's stable enough to be boring, or you run it into the ground completely.

Easy mode isn't a good thing for newbies.  It warps your expectations, and teaches you that you can get away with bad habits and maneuvers that don't actually work.  Especially with a game like Dwarf Fortress, you don't need hand-holding and forgiving, you need to learn to overcome adversity, and some adversity to practice against.

Peaceful surroundings and abundant cheap steel won't make you a better DF player.  Sparse trees, salt water, constant monkey attacks, and no ores besides tetrahedrite and galena might.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »

But does DFHack lie?
DFHack never lies, at least I haven't experienced such thing. Even if I don't see flux immediately there is quite often some marble near the magma sea, so I think DFHack is detecting those when listing marble.

I usually use advanced parameters myself and setting the mineral frequency somewhere between 130 and 190 results iron and coal but not everywhere and not always much, unless I get a lucky with my embark location.

actually, when using prospect all before embark, dfhack can lie. It told me the embark was half clay/ half sand (I had 2 biomes that roughly covered half of the embark each, it had roughly equal no. of sand and clay tiles. I'm still searching for the sand, maybe I'll find it below the magma sea.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »

Doesn't DFHack only prospect the selected Biome? So there might be stuff in the other biomes of your embark area.

Pre-embark "prospect all" seems to select 1 tile at random out of the selected biome (F1/F2/F3/etc).  Which may or may not be representative of the entire biome or your embark area.  So you should select a biome (F1/F2/F3/etc), use "prospect all", then change to another biome (F2/F3/etc) and run the command again.