Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FB especial corpse disposal  (Read 977 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
FB especial corpse disposal
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »

Well, in a rare glimpse of Fun I had yesterday, a round of FB's made their way from nowhere to reach my island haven. One of them was an humanoid made of mud, so he was laughably easy to kill ("gave" me an artifact axe, on top of that) and I don't mind looking at a flashing H lying in a body part stockpile from time to time, it's a cheery reminder. Next ones were a huge skinless lizard and a fire-spewing tortoise, perhaps Godzilla and Gamera's trashy cousins? After some ordeals they lost their heads and were promptly butchered with expected gusto.

All of a sudden (which is the best and only way for them and for us), a chromite cuadruped appears... That was a hard one. Lost my macemen and a heap of mass produced dogs; limbs were lost in both sides and, surprisingly, a mutt manages to scratch its head and the severed part sails off in an arc.

The chromite FB and its many chopped off parts now clutter my craftsmen's stockpile for bones, hairs and shells, and I tried to atom smash the corpse (along with dozens of remains from hunts past) in a single dump area beneath a 3x2 raising bridge, but the contraption dissappeared without leaving a trace, just scattered and un-smashed corpses and remains.

Shall I give it a ‼Fun(eral)‼ in the magma sea, never mind the basalt-throwing crabs that already had claimed their names with my best souls? Or a drowning chamber might suffice to never, ever see that corpse again? Also, will it ever melt? As I'm reading now, chromite is a magma safe material. Searching in the forums I only found this semi-relevant, derailed thread, but it implies a mod and I don't want to alter my experience yet (also it might not work, thanks to the magma-safeness involved).

Sorry if it took too much to get to my point.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FB especial corpse disposal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:01:49 pm »

Wait your bridge (atom smasher) 'vanished' and the stuff was scattered instead of smashed?

I would lay good money that you have built a retracting bridge not a raising one, they appear to vanish when retracted, try pulling the lever again.  Another indicator for this is the item scatter which is what you would expect of things dumped onto a retract bridge.

You may know this and genuinely have some weird bug.  But its a raising bridge you need, and you raise it, then dump under it, then drop it.  Dumping on top may smash some things if there is a wall behind, thats an effective way to trap a corridor, but lots more will be flung about as a raising bridge works like a catapault

The only time atom smashers should not work is if you try and smash something with [building destroyer] (i think its the tag, could be a size threshhold, someone will correct me if im wrong).  In that case they disassemble into their components.  Your FB was certainly unsmashable while alive, his corpse shoulda gone poof though
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:06:42 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: FB especial corpse disposal
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »

Wait your bridge (atom smasher) 'vanished' and the stuff was scattered instead of smashed?

I would lay good money that you have built a retracting bridge not a raising one, they appear to vanish when retracted, try pulling the lever again.  Another indicator for this is the item scatter which is what you would expect of things dumped onto a retract bridge.

Where should I send you the cash? :P In fact, it was a retracting bride the one I was using. Tried a 3x2 raising bridge and put there all the stuff while it was raised. Pulled the lever and everything was gone. Thanks, I'll try to check those details more often.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?