Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Linking stockpiles and workshops without clogging job queue?  (Read 6095 times)

azach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linking stockpiles and workshops without clogging job queue?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 07:08:36 pm »

I'm running into problems regarding stockpiles and linking so I figured I'd post here asking for help rather than start thread n+1 regarding these subjects. If this isn't appropriate let me know and I'll delete the post and start a new thread or RTFM or whatever, if somebody has a link to a good one regarding this sort of thing.

My current problem is with bags. I brought some gypsum plaster with me on embark for setting up my hospital, and of course it's in bags. Now previously when setting up hospitals I've learned that putting coffers in the zone is a bad idea as it snags things in a very haphazard manner. So I tried to designate stockpiles for individual things. Crutches, thread, cloth, etc. However I could never get a plaster stockpile to work correctly.
Now fast forward to the fortress I'm working on currently. It's still in the very early stages so no hospital just yet, however in designating stockpiles for a quern I figured I'd need some empty bags for it to function. So in the furniture/siege ammo category I enabled boxes and bags, thinking this would work for empty bags the same as barrels. However it's pulling my plaster bags which I'm guessing can't further be used to hold the wheat I intend to mill. As far as I can tell the furniture stockpiles should be the empty containers, and bars/blocks -> gypsum plaster should be for bags full of the stuff. Further, the finished goods -> stone/clay -> gypsum plaster should be for other items that are actually made out of gypsum plaster.

Am I misunderstanding the designations, or is this a bug in need of a workaround? If the latter, anybody got any suggestions?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 08:20:25 pm »

Gypsum Plaster filled bags seem to be either a bug or a setting which nobody has figured out.

They always end up in my "empty" bags stockpile as well and I haven't figured out how to move them into their own pile down in the hospital area.  So I just mark them for dumping when they clutter up a bag stockpile, then reclaim them and hope they end up in some other bag stockpile.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:27 pm »

You can still use containers in the hospital :).  Just put in 1 cabinet and 1 coffer.  And only 1 of them at a time.  Wait a while after one is filled, then put in the other.  I forgot who first suggested this, but it works!  No need for micromanaged hospital stockpiles, and only a few extra items of each type.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 12:38:00 am »

Since workstations don't produce NOISE when operated, only when dug out, smoothed and built, I place them near the bunk areas, to limit footfalls.  Also, I try to hold off on some stockpiles, until I can get a nice fat low quality stockpile, there near the Depot, again for limiting footfalls.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2]