Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What DnD spell was in the last Order of the Stick?  (Read 7901 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: What DnD spell was in the last Order of the Stick?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 04:15:36 am »

I've actually reread the comic, I think twice.  That's how awesome it is. 

And Durkon's had badass moments before.  He misinterpreted "Control Weather" to create a thunderclap that destroyed some treants. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 04:40:53 am »

Undead can be "killed", paralyzed, blinded, and deafened but they cannot through ordinary means mostly because they lack both the Will and Fort saves (some undead do have will saves but also have specific immunities and exactly ONE undead has a fort save as well). Spells and abilities usually have to specifically refer to the creature type to do it.
I don't know what edition you're talking about, but in 3.5 they're just immune to effects with the Death or Mind-Affecting tags (which is admittedly most Will-targeted attacks), and anything requiring a Fort save unless it can work on objects or is harmless. Everything has a Will and Fort score, they just don't come up very often.

I think Dictum is bound to cause more collateral damage here.
Now I'm curious if there's a Word of Touhou and its antithesis.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 04:47:10 am »

ぴちゅ~ん, of course.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 05:04:21 am »

Everything has a will and fort score you say?

Come to think of it, an animated furniture character might be pretty powerful.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:38 am »

Everything has a will and fort score you say?

Come to think of it, an animated furniture character might be pretty powerful.
I think unattended, nonmagical objects autofail all saves and attended nonmagical ones use their bearer's, so you could probably claim they don't have one.

And I'm almost positive there was at least one piece of cheese involving that animate furniture spell. Probably involving the DR that larger objects got, or maybe something about strength scores and trample.

ぴちゅ~ん, of course.
Don't get it. :x
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 05:17:29 am »

It's the onomatopoeia for dying.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 05:58:15 am »

Ah. I suspected it was some sort of spell effect or something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:32 am »

Undead can be "killed", paralyzed, blinded, and deafened but they cannot through ordinary means mostly because they lack both the Will and Fort saves (some undead do have will saves but also have specific immunities and exactly ONE undead has a fort save as well). Spells and abilities usually have to specifically refer to the creature type to do it.
I don't know what edition you're talking about, but in 3.5 they're just immune to effects with the Death or Mind-Affecting tags (which is admittedly most Will-targeted attacks), and anything requiring a Fort save unless it can work on objects or is harmless. Everything has a Will and Fort score, they just don't come up very often.
Well, that wiki page mentioned earlier mentioned undead specifically.
The effects are cumulative and concurrent. No saving throw is allowed against these effects.

Deafened: The creature is deafened for 1d4 rounds.

Blinded: The creature is blinded for 2d4 rounds.

Paralyzed: The creature is paralyzed and helpless for 1d10 minutes.

Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:26 pm »

Everything has a Will and Fort score, they just don't come up very often.

If they don't have a con-score they are immune to things that require a fortitude save unless it says otherwise. (score - not score 0). They are also automatically immune to criticals unless it says otherwise.

If they don't have an intelligence score (and possibly Wisdom and Charisma, but I never seen a creature that lacked those) then they are immune to things that require a will save unless it says otherwise. (Score - though not score 0).

If at any point they NEED to do a Fortitude or Will save though they will autofail unless it says otherwise, but they are very specific situations (For example an undead creature couldn't beat a weapon's Ego because they have no will to use)

This is sort of when DnD gets convoluted.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

A thing without WIS or CHA is, by definition, an object, so a creature is bound to have those scores.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

And I'm almost positive there was at least one piece of cheese involving that animate furniture spell. Probably involving the DR that larger objects got, or maybe something about strength scores and trample.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of- I remember trying to bash down doors in Neverwinter Nights and them having a DR of like 30 or something.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 01:37:29 pm »

Object hardness can be a bitch.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »

If they don't have a con-score they are immune to things that require a fortitude save unless it says otherwise. (score - not score 0). They are also automatically immune to criticals unless it says otherwise.
Or unless it works on objects or is harmless, as mentioned.

If they don't have an intelligence score (and possibly Wisdom and Charisma, but I never seen a creature that lacked those) then they are immune to things that require a will save unless it says otherwise. (Score - though not score 0).
No, they're immune to mind-affecting effects (as are non-mindless undead by virtue of being undead). While this is admittedly the same thing the vast majority of the time, it's still an important distinction.

And as Darvi pointed out, no Wis or Cha means it's an object rather than a creature to begin with.

If at any point they NEED to do a Fortitude or Will save though they will autofail unless it says otherwise, but they are very specific situations (For example an undead creature couldn't beat a weapon's Ego because they have no will to use)
This is false. You're thinking of Concentration and Intelligence checks, I assume.

Also, very few undead are mindless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2012, 05:11:29 pm »

This is false. You're thinking of Concentration and Intelligence checks, I assume

No I am not. It is a seldom used rule because there is absolutely NO core rule where you need to use fortitude or Will to do something.

Or unless it works on objects or is harmless, as mentioned.

Which is otherwise.

And as Darvi pointed out, no Wis or Cha means it's an object rather than a creature to begin with

It is no Wis and Cha, You cannot have one without the other (In fact rulewise if either one reaches 0, the other does automatically as well). A creature without Wisdom and Charisma is a creature that isn't self-aware or aware of what goes around it. A creature without Wisdom or Charisma would act and react without knowing. It would indeed be more akin to an object but it could also represent a force of nature.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:15:41 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]