Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, got a caged minotaur....  (Read 1682 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
So, got a caged minotaur....
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »

Any suggestions as to what do do with him, and how to do it safely? I am thinking using him as the guardian in a maze of armok.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: So, got a caged minotaur....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »

1.Just do that.
2. Periodically throw people in.
3.Keep in mind that minotaurs are masters of all weapons.
4. Watch minotaur tear goblin apart with his own arm.
5. ? ??? ?
6. Profit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:35 pm »

A maze combined with a goblin grinder sounds like a lot of fun.  He's probably going to die to the first goblin that has a weapon though.

Actually, I know they can wrestle weapons off of dwarves, but is there any other way to give them weapons?  I guess you could send in noobs with weapons and hope he wrestles one off of them.  He'd stand a better chance against goblins then.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »

Problem: How do I get the minoaur in there without the trainer/hauler being eaten?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:44 pm »

Just pit him, For some eason animals being pitted won't ever break from their captors. For safety, make sure the maze is a one way affair, no exits to exploit. Then just toss him in a hole in the top and watch the fun. I can just imagine the minotaur and goblin playing a game of hide and seek-followed by a short game of "beat the goblin to death"

And the weapons ting can be solved by disarming the gobbos first. And I thought that minotaurs start out with a weapon?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:01 pm »

I wonder if you could deliberately arm the minotaur somehow?

Maybe give a worthless migrant a nice steel weapon and no armor, then throw him into the maze with the minotaur and hope the minotaur wrestles the weapon away?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

I will disarm all captives before pitting them, of course. Haven;t seen a goblin attack yet, and goblins are very deifnitly hostile in this world. I do have some kobolds for him to play with though :P

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:19 am »

You could try dropping a weapon into the maze and see if the minotaur picks it up.  If he does, shout huzzah, drop down and entire suit of armour for him, and then post a note that you can do so on the wiki.

But I envision something more grand and useful than a simple maze for your minotaur.  No, you have a working fortress and by by hook or crook, we can get this minotaur to do some work!  Create a pen for him by channelling out a ditch so he can't run away.  Then line the outer edge of the ditch with masterwork clear glass windows.  Encircle these window with raising bridges followed by another ring of magnificent windows.  Then build a dining hall so great they'll speak of it for generations.  Keep the bridge up until too many important dwarves are in the hall partying, then throw the lever and let them see the scary visage of a blood-thirsty semi-megabeast!  Entertainment AND it improves your fortress efficiency!  You could even lock the doors and throw a few goblins down in the pit and force your dwarves to witness violence, helping numb them for the inevitable FUN that awaits all good dwarves and players.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:26:23 am »

Problem: How do I get the minoaur in there without the trainer/hauler being eaten?

Depending on your popcap, you probably got enough haulers to sacrifice one.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:09 am »

...without the trainer/hauler being eaten?
No dwarves ..getting.. ..eaten? Heresy!
Just what manner of bay watcher are you?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist