Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glacier Embark  (Read 1943 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glacier Embark
« on: July 29, 2012, 04:22:46 am »

So, I've decided to take a crack at a glacier, and see how long it takes me to fail miserably.

From what I can see, there is:
ICE
Shallow Metal
Deep Metals

In the wilderness

I've managed to tackle tundras in wilderness, however, the glacier which lacks dirt will make things much more difficult, and I doubt I'll survive long enough to actually get some farming for booze production. I did manage the lack of trees ok though, so hopefully it won't be too much of an obstacle here (past what it already is) I'm hoping that since it's in the wilderness there may be something to hunt and give me a food supply though.

I forgot to check what civilisations are around me, but I don't think there's any necromancers around, so I should be safe from undead attacks (thank god for that).

What would you suggest I take with me on embark to maximise my chances of lasting more than a season in this icy hell? Any tips and tricks from the pros? Is there going to be anything to hunt, or do I ignore bringing along an archer, and save the points for more booze and food?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glacier Embark
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:43:30 am »

Just be dwarfy and bring the raw material to make booze for at-least 2 yrs will cost most of your points though... Or maybe not I forget, also bring the raw material of everything you are going to bring set up shop quick and get producing. Copper or is 6ea and a anvil is gonna be the most expensive thing get some copper hammers made and start bashing everything in sight, works great for traps too don't clog that often!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:52 am »

Should I bring a breeding pair of dogs to supply food? I would say cats, because the prospect of slaughtering cats amuses me, but I hate having dead vermin lying around the place
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:55:21 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70952.msg1728590#msg1728590

This should help you set up a farm. I can usually have one setup within a month of embarking on a glacier. Alternatively dig as quickly as you can to the caverns and setup farming there. Dogs and cats are fine for food, but poultry generally outclasses them for pure food production. Dogs and cats have their advantages in bone and leather production, as well as protection and vermin patrol.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:33 am »

I'm thinking to satisfy my need for farming I'll dedicate one miner to a vertical staircase out of the way to find the caverns for me. Another miner will be responsible for the mining out of a place to hole up while I breach the caverns. Thinking once I get there, I'll set up in the upper floor of the caverns, and wall it off as well as I can. This will give me a supply of wood so each can have their own beds, as well as a source of coke (if lignite/coal is unavailable).

I've got a single copper axe for the start, which will go to my military dwarf until I breach the caverns and have access to trees, then either i'll convert him to woodcutting, or confiscate the axe

What skills should I give the other dwarves for embark? Do I save the points for booze and food?

Edit: stupid maintenance :p
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:17:15 am by Mimodo »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:48:28 am »

Well, I have set out, and already found the caverns, so soon I shall have a small area to farm :D

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:29 am »

Thanks for the advice guys :D Glad I took some tetrahedrite along with me, because the only metal I've found (and it's in vast quantities) is native gold... NOTHING else

I've now survived up to the second migrant wave (3 migrants, woop woop), and living in the caverns with a decent supply of booze and food. Now just to get myself a military, and wait for some of that valuable goblinite to outfit my dwarves in (or hope for artifact gold warhammers?)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:23:46 pm »

Smelt the native gold, craft some stuff from it, and then trade that stuff for weapons. Someday I gotta start a glacier embark myself, I really loved building with ice.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:57:22 am »

Should I bring a breeding pair of dogs to supply food? I would say cats, because the prospect of slaughtering cats amuses me, but I hate having dead vermin lying around the place

Take the cats! Have you ever embarked without cats? It sucks. Flies and hamsters and shit everywhere. And if one of your dwarves hates a common type of vermin he is going to hate life!!