Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming Discussion  (Read 2604 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Farming Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:14 am »

Top is West on Dwarf maps right?  HA!  In Middle Earth it is supposed to be so, if I remember Tolkien. 
If adventure mode is to be believed, top is North

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »

A plant stockpile with no barrels allowed right next to your farm plots which feeds to your main plant stockpile (with barrels) is a big help in 34.xx.  If you haven't tried it, you will be amazed at the efficiency and you'll get a LOT less brewing/cooking cancellations.  I wonder if this will be necessary in future versions.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 04:36:07 pm »

A plant stockpile with no barrels allowed right next to your farm plots which feeds to your main plant stockpile (with barrels) is a big help in 34.xx.  If you haven't tried it, you will be amazed at the efficiency and you'll get a LOT less brewing/cooking cancellations.  I wonder if this will be necessary in future versions.

Can't you still enable barrels in the gathering stockpile?  With links, a kitchen will only take from the main stockpile, leaving the gathering stockpile alone.  A gathering stockpile with barrels will allow dwarves to collect things efficiently, then return, where items are then transferred to the adjacent stockpile that then feeds to the kitchen.  Because of links, you'll need a separate gathering/feeding stockpile pair for each workshop, but it should work faster than non-container item hauling.
Pages: 1 [2]