Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ways to deal with ghosts other than memorials and graves  (Read 1855 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Ways to deal with ghosts other than memorials and graves
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:57 am »

... because the inevitable body count that you pile up means that otherwise you have to dedicate an inordinate ammount of the fort's resources just to keep the spirits of the dead satisfied. So I was thinking, how about a third way to deal with them? Maybe paying the dwarven caravans to carry the bodies back to the mountainhomes? Or... wards of some sort, which the ghosts wouldn't be able to bypass?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to deal with ghosts other than memorials and graves
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:18 am »

Or an exorcism of some kind?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:41:50 am »

I afraid there isn't any other way that coffins and slabs. Making traders to carry the bodies out however sounds very interesting idea, there is a plave for the SCIENCE. Somehow I except that ghost still remain if their bodies are carried away.

How about putting corpse to coffin and then deconstructing coffin and burning body? Does that count "memorialization"?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:41 am »

Bro

This is a "suggestions" thread. He's not saying that such a thing exists, he's saying that it SHOULD exist.

That being said, I'm all for exorcisms. Yes please. Make the alchemy skill useful. The job should take an obscene amount of time to perform, though, and potentially require difficult-to-obtain extracts.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

If there's something strange
in your danger room
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »

That being said, I'm all for exorcisms. Yes please. Make the alchemy skill useful. The job should take an obscene amount of time to perform, though, and potentially require difficult-to-obtain extracts.
Worship and deities could figure into it as well.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:12:35 am »

I've never heard of alchemy involving excorsisms. the two being linked seems a bit weird. though i guess i know almost nothing about alchemy, so I cant really complain.

While I've got nothing against excorsisms and stuff; adding more and more ways to deal with ghosts seems a bit redundant. While I've always prefered more options, just adding options for the sake of there being more options seems pointless. and if excrosism took up even more effort than the current system, than why would anyone even bother to use exorsisms.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25:59 am »

More effort, but less space.  As far as I know, you can't just quantum stockpile memorials or coffins.

One other way exists at the moment, and that is to have a Macabre Mood dwarf kill the ghost and use its bones for an artifact.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »

The problem with that, though, is that it is VERY difficult to induce. First, you have to influence a macabre mood, which requires keeping every dwarf at the proper level of unhappiness to prevent spiraling, yet ensure a murderous mood. You then have to pray that whoever gets the mood is closer to the ghost than another dwarf, or else you have two ghosts running around.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:10:17 pm »

I've never heard of alchemy involving excorsisms. the two being linked seems a bit weird. though i guess i know almost nothing about alchemy, so I cant really complain.

While I've got nothing against excorsisms and stuff; adding more and more ways to deal with ghosts seems a bit redundant. While I've always prefered more options, just adding options for the sake of there being more options seems pointless. and if excrosism took up even more effort than the current system, than why would anyone even bother to use exorsisms.
I assume alchemy would be used to prepare ceremonial ointments and such. I imagine a priest worshiping a deity with an appropriate sphere would also be necessary (perhaps you could hire one from elsewhere if you don't have one,) with devotion affecting sucess rate.

The exorcism could cleanse an area for a few years or so, helping tremendously in evil embarks.

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:58:27 pm »

What about cremation?
or some sort of corpse mill?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:21:28 pm by Nicolo »

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 07:47:05 am »

What about using a specific designated carving to memorialise those who died for our entertainment. A high quality of carving could be really hard to produce but say if a legendary carving memorial is made it might prompt the ghost of the recently (or not) deceased to actually help in case of a siege. I like the idea of having capricious dwarf ghosties rising up to defend their progeny from an ill-timed Gobbo siege.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:29 pm »

What about cremation?
or some sort of corpse mill?

Yeah I'd say cremation would work. Also because if disease is ever added to DF in the future then cremation may be an effective method of dealing with diseased corpses.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »

Maybe make it so that memorial slabs can 1) be engraved after they're placed, and 2) have multiple names engraved on them.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »

Maybe make it so that memorial slabs can 1) be engraved after they're placed, and 2) have multiple names engraved on them.
This! 100% this!
Perhaps it can be "interacted" like a workshop building. You can create a task called "Engrave Name..."
Each slab support up to, say, 100 names.
Of course, the trade-off is that being engraved on a "mass name slab" would offer a lesser reduction to bad-thought to the dwarf's friends and relatives.
Perhaps the bad-thought reduction could be scaled up to the quality of the slab (decorating the slab improves quality) and scaled down with the number of names on it.

It could also make for an interesting historical record if you can give slab unique name.
"This is an obsidian slab titled 'The Glorious Battle of Boatmuderers'.
On the item is a memorial of Urist McHappyHammer the dwarf. The dwarf is striking down a goblin.
On the item is a memorial of Urist McTriggerFinger the dwarf. The dwarf is shooting a dragon.
etc..."
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.