Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf !Science!  (Read 1630 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf !Science!
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:12 am »

After making sure to have enough ammo, quivers, and crossbows, and the correct archery range orientation, I tried the following set-ups for my 6-dwarf squad:

Alert - Active/Training
Schedule - Train, 3 minimum
Archery Target - 3 targets, overlapping rooms
Barracks, No
Result - Marksdwarves went active and then froze in place with the status message "going to Archery Practice."

Alert - Inactive
Barracks, No
Result - Marksdwarves immediately began to practice, but only sporadically.  They only filled their quivers with a single stack of ammo. Not good for my stash of mostly bone bolts with their max stack of 5.

Alert - Active
Barracks, Yes
Result - Marksdwarves not on training duty at the barracks went to archery practice, but again only picked up single stacks of ammo.  Sometimes they would train like the previous set-up, but other times, they would lock up like the first.

Alert - Active
Schedule - No Active Orders, 3 minimum
Archery Target, Yes - 3 targets, overlapping rooms
Barracks, No
Result - FINALLY! Now the marksdwarves are training pretty much non-stop.  Even better, they're picking up multiple stacks of ammo!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:06:15 am by VerdantSF »

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf !Science!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:44 am »

That is strange, may hapes it falls under a bug if they don't train properly if given orders. Or mabey the A.I. makes melee training desisions over range. Dunno!

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:26 am »

Oh? Still, this info might prove incredibly useful, many thanks!
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:36:21 am »

Argh! And now it's not working again!  Sorry for the false hope.  It really was working.  I'd test some more, but I'm in the midst of a vampire and ambush-induced tantrum spiral :(.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:47 am »

Verdant you shouldn't really be using target as your main training source anyway. Archery targets should be thought of as rust prevention devices rather than training. If you've popped ambushes/sieges make an obs platform with raisable bridges ringing it in case of wounds. they'll plink at the goblins and get a couple ranks per skirmish. Between battles you can:
  • Ventilate prisoners from an arena obs platform. (Only strip marksgobs for longer live targets)
  • Manually drive them into reshaped parts of the caverns to plink away at dralthas and floating guts.(Have decontamination showers/supply room/quarantine/execution shaft.)
  • Fire at cavern animals from obs platforms. Laugh as only the strongest butchers and refuse haulers survive!
  • Ignore them and pray to the Omnissiah that they train at a useful rate until a legend gets some teaching skill as well to round them out.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:23 am »

Use your captured prisoners of war and thieves as target practice.

The best source of experience are arenas and "live" archery ranges.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange