Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Emergency Happiness  (Read 3025 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Happiness
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:59 am »

"Sorry McMoody you cant use that stone.. its more of a um, pebble, yes, you need a stone, go get another."
*Urist McMoody runs of to find another Stone*
"Sorry, that one is err, reserved for the royal suite"
*Runs off*
"Nope that one is too.... grey"...
"Got coal dust on it"...
"Has been outside, how can your Dwarvenly pride work with an outdoor stone?"...
"Is being used a paperweight by the bookkeeper"...

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:37:00 am »

This one's a little cheaty, but it can work. Use cave in dust to arrange for unhappy dwarves to be trapped in cage traps. Build the cages, then release them. They will have a VERY positive happy thought for being released.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 09:01:36 am »

How Legendary is your Legendary Dining Room? You can almost always make your dining room more legendary to produce more happiness.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 11:34:54 am »

This one's a little cheaty, but it can work. Use cave in dust to arrange for unhappy dwarves to be trapped in cage traps. Build the cages, then release them. They will have a VERY positive happy thought for being released.
"Has sustained major injuries recently."

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41:41 am »

I usually leave bedrooms unassigned, just for these kind of emergencies.

Last night I had a miserable bone carver who was throwing lots and lots of tantrums in the dining room, and he happened to share bonds with quite a bunch of people inside the fortress, ergo disaster was looming from the horizon. Just in time, I assigned him a nice bedroom, designated some idlers to smooth the hell out of it and threw a couple of engravings just as cherry toppings. Had to wait until his doozing hour, and Urist McSadbones, who got there in the first place thanks to the lost of some of his masterful arrows that got lodged inside the guts of some Giant peach-faced lovebirds, became an ecstatic and decadent dwarf in no time, just like his peers. A party ensued.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:03 am »

I've never designated a statue garden, but statues in high traffic area, dining rooms, barracks, etc. work pretty well.  Also, the happiest dwarf I ever saw had just popped out a baby.  I suppose you could try to encourage that...?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:44 am »

"Sorry McMoody you cant use that stone.. its more of a um, pebble, yes, you need a stone, go get another."
*Urist McMoody runs of to find another Stone*
"Sorry, that one is err, reserved for the royal suite"
*Runs off*
"Nope that one is too.... grey"...
"Got coal dust on it"...
"Has been outside, how can your Dwarvenly pride work with an outdoor stone?"...
"Is being used a paperweight by the bookkeeper"...
Or go Plainpacked on him. Works for the cook, too, if you need high-value meals but a low-level cook.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21:16 pm »

I think he sold the rough gems, rather than buying them.
Well, the post did say "Disaster averted with probably the luckiest caravan ever... Had nothing of worth to sell but some rough gems, but it was enough to save a spiral", and the second part is missing a subject. But then again, I just remembered caravans don't sell rough gems, so I guess the OP was selling the gems after all. (Caravans do sell rough glass that can be cut and set like gems, but that don't count as gems for moods.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »

The rough gems are what I sold
"I had nothing to sell but some rough gems" was the first part of the sentence... thought that'd be clear enough

Needed silk. Unfortunately my problem was I am just starting out. I would need to train up a decent mason to get any statues worth admiring

I've never designated a statue garden, but statues in high traffic area, dining rooms, barracks, etc. work pretty well.  Also, the happiest dwarf I ever saw had just popped out a baby.  I suppose you could try to encourage that...?

Unfortunately that seems to be happening... the most recent mother has 9 children (all grown up but her newest), 9 siblings, 10 nieces, and 8 nephews in the fortress
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »

You can always  replace the statue at a later date. Besides who makes rock/clay statues? Aim for pretty much any metal. Look on the Wiki under "mist". I've never seen my dwarves so happy with a statue garden and mist generator in one room.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

The rough gems are what I sold
"I had nothing to sell but some rough gems" was the first part of the sentence... thought that'd be clear enough
No, you missed the "I".
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]