Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Statues and other art featuring named dwarfs  (Read 1527 times)

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Statues and other art featuring named dwarfs
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

Is there an easy way to find pieces of art that feature a particular dwarf?

I am a bunch of statues that I want to put in tombs and if a dead dwarf is featured in a statue, I would like to put that statue in his tomb.  Other art as well if there is any.  What's the best way to do this?  Do I really have to go through and read the description of each statue, etc?  Is there a way to export this to a text file or csv or something?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statues and other art featuring named dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

I'm pretty sure there isn't - sorry. Lots of manual labor involved.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:22 am »

If you press b (build) - s (statue), place it then press x (expand) it lists "granite statue of Urist McDwarfname" instead of just "granite statue". The name will be translated though, you'll need to know who is who if you don't want to read the description.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:46:09 am »

Or just forbid every statue in your fort and unforbid the relevant statues you want to build via stocks screen. Then reclaim it all.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure there isn't - sorry. Lots of manual labor involved.

Ug.  Ok, i think ill just need to get a second monitor and record all the relevant statue names along with the featured dwarfs' names into excel.  And then use that as a reference when placing statues.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »

How do you get so many statues in the first place? My dwarfs seem to make statues only of nobles and sometimes of dwarfs who made an artifact or masterpiece. I have countless statues of the goblins they killed, but not one of my military dwarfs who did the killing. Not even one of my adventurer migrant with over 250 notable kills, and his deeds make up most of the history of this world...

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

How do you get so many statues in the first place? My dwarfs seem to make statues only of nobles and sometimes of dwarfs who made an artifact or masterpiece. I have countless statues of the goblins they killed, but not one of my military dwarfs who did the killing. Not even one of my adventurer migrant with over 250 notable kills, and his deeds make up most of the history of this world...

For a while i had Statues on repeat.

Also, read the descriptions of the statues, not just the name.  For example, the name might be *granite statue of Ngonkang GoblinDude* but the description of the statue is about how Ngonkang killed the dwarf Urist Awesomepants in the year 257.  That statue belongs in Urist's tomb.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

I know, I just meant to say that I would prefer having a statue of Urist McAdventurer relating to him killing someone instead of 100 statues of the goblins being killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

That adventurer probably wasn't well known to the local government of civilization then.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »

That adventurer probably wasn't well known to the local government of civilization then.

No, that's not it. He started in year 30 in a pocket world with only one dwarven civ with one settlement. He then killed all night creatures and semi-megabeasts of this world plus lots of kobolds and goblins in the region I embarked. Every second engraving is about him, since he did most notable things in the history of this region. That was one of his main purposes anyway (the other was to carry some trophys and a necro slab to my fort). Also lots of statues are about him, just that they are not statues OF him, but of things he killed. Anyway it's not important, just made me wonder...

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »

How come I cannot view the description of a statue after it has been built? (Not using the Stocks screen).  Am I missing something?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »

Use (t). It's considered a building after the statue is build.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Havent tried it but what about searching at the trade depot for the dorf's name?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

The easiest way is to give your dwarf a temporary nickname. Then when looking at each statue individually you will see the nickname (they always show up in statues by their given or assigned name) when you delete the nickname the dwarf will get his proper name back in both statue and menu, but youll have had an easier time sorting through the chaff.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?