Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crocsplosion!  (Read 6660 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crocsplosion!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 04:44:19 am »

So, it's clear. If you want to take on the clowns with crocs, you need a numerical superiority of almost 190:1.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

I think if there were no fire-breathers, it would be more like 20:1 for an even fight. It's the fire that really did them in. With fire in the picture, the numbers don't really matter. It's also likely that the crocodiles would be unable to hurt anything made of stone or metal; the only thing I've found to be relatively effective for that has been severing limbs with steel battleaxes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:27:51 am by Callista »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »

If anyone else attempts this, I would suggest an alternative to the "arena" model of combat.  How about if a "Labyrinth" is used instead, with many smaller rooms each full of 50 crocs?  When a few clowns wander in lock the room and release the crocks.  Give your beasts an advantage by making the 3 non-door walls entirely floodgates so the crocs can zerg rush better.

Maybe do the same thing with some random narrow hallways: throw a switch and angry pets attack from both sides.  Add traps and collapsing sections for more fun.  Any clowns that make it through the entire maze can then go through the shooting gallery and meet your dwarven welcome committee.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

Yes, it shouldn't be a "fair fight" like what I set up. The demons' syndrome, dust, and fire needs to be neutralized somehow--probably by separating them into small groups for the animals to mob. I'd also cover the floor in shallow water, which the crocs will have no problem with, but which may help stop the spread of fire (if it doesn't just make crocodile soup).

The spike traps and shooting gallery worked, by the way. We're down to six clowns from ~150 in the first wave. About fifteen dwarves, including two doctors, died from a necrotic syndrome that got spit at the marksdwarves through the fortifications. The first three bridges got deconstructed from being accidentally slammed down on a clown, but the last three are still holding. Spikes are quite effective, especially when made of candy. Also, the one doctor who survived is now very experienced from repeatedly excising rotten tissue from the poor dwarves who got syndrome goop on them. Thank goodness we have a good soap industry. I've got several Useless Migrants on full-time cleanup duty.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »

I think water will only turn into steam if it comes into contact with demon fire.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:19 pm »

Also, on the note of fire, !!lignite bin!!s tend to turn water to steam as well, even from several tiles away, so any fire should do the trick. As a side note, imagine if this was df in the near future, and you had to feed all those crocodiles. I mean, I suppose you could butcher half of them or so, but what if they noticed?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 2 [3]