Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does stuff happen in the world outside?  (Read 2384 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Does stuff happen in the world outside?
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:37 am »

I wonder what exactly happens outside your fortress? Do goblins besiege elves or travelers trade between towns? Just wondering how much happens after world generation :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Does stuff happen in the world outside?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:09:24 am »

Currently the moment world generation ends the entire world freezes in place except for at your fortress, even up to the point where people will not die of old age until they step into your fortress (potentially leading to diplomats and historical migrants dropping dead instantly if your world is old enough). With the next update a large portion of this will start to move again after world generation ends, the known details of which can be viewed in the dev log on the main page.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:31 am »

Ive had this happen. An elf diplomat developed a mental illness soon after coming to my fort, and was left by his former guards to drivel in the woods. Had to put him to sleep as he was scaring the shit out my woodcutters.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »

Did he go nuts from not being able to meet with your fortress leader?
Also, elf diplomat?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:51:59 pm »

Also, elf diplomat?
DFHack has a diplomat fix command that allows elves to show up with diplomats to impose tree-cutting limits on your fortresses like they did back in 40d.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »

Also, elf diplomat?
DFHack has a diplomat fix command that allows elves to show up with diplomats to impose tree-cutting limits on your fortresses like they did back in 40d.
Is that what that does?

Damn. Here I was, thinking I could get an order placed in Pets'R'Us...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »

Yeah, mail ordering dragons would be a blast.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

Yeah, mail ordering dragons would be a blast.

Urist McLeader: "Yeah, uh, we have had some problems with the goblins lately, so we mail ordered a breeding pair of dragons and a breeding pair of giant eagles..."
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »

Wait, since when do elves sell megabeasts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »

They don't, as far as I know, but anything with any kind of [PET] tag can be sold by them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »

They sell whatever they have tamed, AFAIK.
Sig

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »

Which can be basically anything with [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tags.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:19 am »

Do they ever show up with dragons or hydras?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:58:05 am »

1: Give ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS to the elf diplomats.

2: Use Fixdiplomats in DH.

3: Request a breeding couple og gigant desert scorpions.

4:!FUN!
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:38 am »

There's also MOUNT, MOUNT_EXOTIC, and restrictions on what they can tame, like no evil critters or ones from halfway around the world.

Do they ever show up with dragons or hydras?
Sure, if you mod them to not be megabeasts.
Sig